Underside of fenders

Started by 416Ford, August 27, 2014, 08:00:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

416Ford

I am stripping the multitude of paint off my wife's Torino and shooting it with self etching pirmer. The fenders have some dents that will need to be addressed by a body man when the time comes.
The fenders are rust free as far as holes goes but the underside has some surface rust. I do not want to send them out and have them stripped for the minor surface rust and would like to just shoot them with a rust inhibiting primer.
I want to paint the underside with chassis black when the time comes but there will be hammering done on the inner fender before then.

Is this the proper step or should I be doing something different. All the cars I have worked on in the past were blasted to bare metal and then worked on.

Picture of the new project.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

enjenjo

This sounds like a good place for rust bullet  http://www.rustbullet.com/
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

A friend of mine has a Lime Gold Torino fastback that he bought new in '69.  He's kept it up very well.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

416Ford

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"He's kept it up very well.

We didn't get that lucky. We purchased this from Tenn as a rolling shell. We have a 351 C and an AOD that will go in it.

Thanks Frank, sent the product link to my wife and asked her to order it up. And a new spray gun.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

48bill

48bill
Bill C from Connecticut
48 Chevrolet Cabriolet