Wheels for my 36 Ford

Started by blyde, September 02, 2004, 11:39:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blyde

Can anyone tell me what original equipment wheels might have the right offset to fit my 36 Ford sedan
I have a Garnada rear end and a Hites front end with 11" disk.
They are both 5 lug on 4 1/2
I have tried 2002 Mustang 17" and the back inside of the tire hits the top a arm when you turn. They cleared everything else.
Help if you can.
Bill
blyde@ghgcorp.com

GPster

You might look at newer Jeep wheels. I was surprise an the negative off-set. They're not like fwd wheels but thet are definately negative offset. Just a hint. A lot of people seemto want tougher looking wheels on their Jeep. Look at a popular tire/wheel store. They might be overrun with stock take-offs. GPster

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

blyde

Quote from: "GPster"You might look at newer Jeep wheels. I was surprise an the negative off-set. They're not like fwd wheels but thet are definately negative offset. Just a hint. A lot of people seemto want tougher looking wheels on their Jeep. Look at a popular tire/wheel store. They might be overrun with stock take-offs. GPster

Thanks for the help. I will see what I can find.
Bill

blyde

enjenjo

Look atMopar wheels from the 70's and 80's rear wheel drive. they are the right bolt pattern, and have less backspacing than the Tbird wheels. they came in both 14 and 15 inch.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Quote from: "blyde"14,15,16  would be great
Go to the junkyard and look in the trunk of some late model Ford products. The undersize spare tires seen to be 16". I picked one up off of the curb one time and put it in my stash. It looks to be negative off-set. When I first started on the Jeepster I got some wheels from Pete Paulsen. He advertised in the back of "Rod & Custom". They have rims and centers and will put together any width rim with the desired center at the specified + or - offset. They even used to throw in "Baby Moons" with a set. You used to be able to by wheels and centers from Speedway's catalog racing section and make your own the same way. Also, as Enjenjo noticed, you can probably have Troy Trepanier machine you a set of wheels from billet that look like steel stockers. GPster

Kctom

Quote from: "blyde"Can anyone tell me what original equipment wheels might have the right offset to fit my 36 Ford sedan
I have a Garnada rear end and a Hites front end with 11" disk.
They are both 5 lug on 4 1/2
I have tried 2002 Mustang 17" and the back inside of the tire hits the top a arm when you turn. They cleared everything else.
Help if you can.
Bill
blyde@ghgcorp.com

You want to look at wheel size on the front. Alot of those disk brake chevy fronts need a 15" wheel to clear. My first set were 14 " and rubbed the caliper so went to 15" and smaller tire for the same look.

artwear

Quote from: "GPster"
Quote from: "blyde"14,15,16  would be great
Go to the junkyard and look in the trunk of some late model Ford products. The undersize spare tires seen to be 16". I picked one up off of the curb one time and put it in my stash. It looks to be negative off-set. When I first started on the Jeepster I got some wheels from Pete Paulsen. He advertised in the back of "Rod & Custom". They have rims and centers and will put together any width rim with the desired center at the specified + or - offset. They even used to throw in "Baby Moons" with a set. You used to be able to by wheels and centers from Speedway's catalog racing section and make your own the same way. Also, as Enjenjo noticed, you can probably have Troy Trepanier machine you a set of wheels from billet that look like steel stockers. GPster

Ejenjo and GPster,
Where can I get contact info for Troy Trepanier machine?  I've got a '53 3/4 ton Chevy pickup that I need to get wheels for.  I've not been able to find any decent looking eight lug wheels that have the same bolt spacing.
I thought about trying to find an original set of steel rims and using baby moons, but several people advised against the old two piece rims over safety concerns.  Are there any later model or repro one piece steel rims with the tabs to hold the baby moon caps?  If not I may be interested in having a set machined.

Thanks,
Artwear

Some people see a problem in every solution, others find a solution to every problem.
Some people find a problem in every solution, others find a solution to every problem.