Power Rack hard turn to right

Started by 40_Tudor, June 06, 2014, 02:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

40_Tudor

Just put in a rebuilt T-Bird power rack, GM pump with remote res. I bought at Good-Guys PPG last year in my 40. Turns hard to right when I'm sitting still. Turns OK left and both ways OK when moving.
Turned steering wheel L/R to centered rack, install rack, set toe in to 1/8, didn't re-set caster or camber.
Any suggestions?

enjenjo

Check that the hoses are not reversed at the rack. Pressure hose is closest to the rack, return is closest to the steering shaft.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

40_Tudor

Had pressure hose connection reversed at first, pulled hard to right, about ripped my arm off. Pressure and return connection are the same size on my rack, took a 50/50 guess but I lost. Switched the connections and it works as described.

Sorry for the late response, I was out of town and ran out of data time on phone.

enjenjo

Ok, if you are sure the lines are connected correctly, you have a problem in the rack. There is a valve that opens to allow fluid into the rack to assist it in the direction you are turning. There could be something obstructing the valve, there could be rust in the valve not allowing it to turn in that direction, or it could have been rebuilt improperly. I would call the vendor, and see what they say.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

40_Tudor

Kind of what I thought. Its a rebuilt T-Bird rack not a new one. I'll give the parts guy a call and see if he will exchange it for me. Not looking forward to replacing it, big job with no lift and all fenders on it.

Thanks