Never, ever give up, ever!

Started by Carps, April 22, 2014, 10:13:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carps

Some of you may remember many years back my posts about the exploits and unlikely sucesses of old number 77, our underfunded efforts with an overweight and underpowered sprint car, pedalled by one of the most talented young drivers of the time.

You may also recall, how with a bit more funding, the team moved up a peg or three with a new number on a lighter more competitive machine, gaining more success, despite still being nowhere near the big league in terms of funding and equipment.

Well, here's a lesson in what happens if you never give up, this is Dave's latest weapon!

Did ya notice the lucky seven is missing?  That's because after more than 20 years trying, he's the new Australian Sprintcar Champion and proudly wearing the number, Australia 1.  It's been an incredibl journey with a whole bunch of bumps and bruises along the way.  However after being the bridesmaid way too many times, Dave finally got the job done and very much like we used to do it in the old days.  Due to logistics difficulties and the cost of shipping his car to Tasmania for the championship event, the team rented a local machine, added a few of their own parts and put a radical tune up on the borrowed engine, to win in grand style from row 3 in front of his home town crowd and family.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

enjenjo

I didn't know they made RHD sprint cars. Congratulations.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "enjenjo"I didn't know they made RHD sprint cars. Congratulations.

That's what I was thinking ... In photo # 1 he seems to be going the wrong direction... :?  :?     Driving on the "wrong" side of the track   :?:  :idea:

Are those cars required to run mufflers  ???
Congrats to him on a job well done ... :b-d:

Bob..... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

tomslik

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"
Quote from: "enjenjo"I didn't know they made RHD sprint cars. Congratulations.

That's what I was thinking ... In photo # 1 he seems to be going the wrong direction... :?  :?     Driving on the "wrong" side of the track   :?:  :idea:

Are those cars required to run mufflers  ???
Congrats to him on a job well done ... :b-d:

Bob..... :wink:

he's on the correct side, just upside down....  :roll:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Carps

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Are those cars required to run mufflers  ???
Yup, we have rules for everything, most tracks also have a 11:00pm curfew, so if the A main can't be completed before that time, the rest of the day and night were basically wasted.  The only race cars in ustralia that are allowed to run without mufflers are the Formula one machines.

As for going the wrong way, the rule is the same here as in the US, 'Drive Fast, Turn Left', so In photo #1 Dave's on the correct part of the track, inside line of turn four at Avalon, driving towards the chequered flag.

You should also note that the steering gear is only visible on the image of the #71 car and it's on the left side, the shot below also clearly confirms that Aussie sprinters are indeed Left Hand Drive, as you can see the steering shaft exiting the cockpit on to the left and not the right.  

:D
Carps

jaybee

Fantastic news, congratulations to the new #1 Australia! Racing just got started at Knoxville as the Earth moves to give us Northerners an equal shot at racing fun.

Nice gauges in the cockpit, but what's the point? It's not like there's time to look at them anyway...
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

sirstude

Great Job !!!  

However my buddy, the only 8 time Montana sprint champion, says if you "Drive Fast and Turn Left" you are going to go on your head.  He says you "Drive Fast and Turn Right" to go left in a sprint car.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Carps

Quote from: "Jaybee"Nice gauges in the cockpit, but what's the point? It's not like there's time to look at them anyway...
Maybe not in a ten lapper, but when you make it to the A main, especially whern you've only got one enine and it needs to last the season, knowing what's happening with engine temp and oil pressure can be the difference between retiring hurt and unable to complete the season, or backing off and taking some points whilst being able to fight again another day.  

The Tach is simply a recording device which is reviewed later to help develop race strategy.

Quote from: "sirstude"However my buddy, the only 8 time Montana sprint champion, says if you "Drive Fast and Turn Left" you are going to go on your head.  He says you "Drive Fast and Turn Right" to go left in a sprint car.
Sounds like your buddy discovered the magic perfect set-up, we can make the car want to turn left, but it still requires a sharp left 'jab' of the steering wheel to tip it into the corner before 'steering' right to keep it headed in the correct direction.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Carps

rumrumm

Congratulations! Tenacity pays off!!
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

wayne petty

this is when you prove your  the REAL #1..

when you can beat all the others ..  IN A BORROWED CAR..  

Congratulations..

sirstude

Sounds like your buddy discovered the magic perfect set-up, we can make the car want to turn left, but it still requires a sharp left 'jab' of the steering wheel to tip it into the corner before 'steering' right to keep it headed in the correct direction.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:[/quote]

I get the quick jab, just a fun statement.  Agree with Wayne, the borrowed car is the real thing!!!!
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Carps

Quote from: "sirstude"......... just a fun statement.
A bit like a quick jab huh?   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Yup, Dave took a couple of heats to get a handle on the car, but when he got it rolling in the A main, he just took off and left the pack behind.  In the closing laps there were only three cars on the lead lap including the reigning and four times previous National Champ.  However, Dave had his head down and elbows out.  He also had his brain in gear coz the track started to dry out and a few of the contenders lost all their rubber in the latter stages, even Dave was on treadless slicks when the chequer flew.

Funny story from a week later.  Now that he's number one he has to go to the scales after each race, regardless where he finishes.  So he's run a heat race, finished fourth and headed back to the pits when he hears the track announcer calling Australia One to the scales.  He thinks to himself, "I didn't see Aus 1 out there in that heat" and continues towards the gate.  Then about three feet from the gate he's thought "OH SHYTE! that's me!", did a quick left turn and ran half  a lap to make the scales.  He's still getting used to it, just as well he's a quick learner.
Carps

Pete

Congrats to you guys Carps.
Good to see you on again.
We won first season race last Sat night also.
Pete

Carps

Update.

Running at the front of the A main, well clear of the pack, to win the only state championship that has eleuded him, the camshaft broke clean in half with only three laps to run.  :shock:

The camshaft!!!!   :shock:

I couldn't break a camshaft by belting one end of it against a steel workbench as hard as I could, but Dave did it without even trying.
Carps

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "Carps"... the camshaft broke clean in half with only three laps to run.  

Shyte happens!  ....Usually, at the most inopportune time!

Has the cause been determined?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!