T5 shifter

Started by enjenjo, April 12, 2014, 08:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I am building a T5 for a conversion on a 62 Chevy half ton 4X4 pickup. It has a divorced transfer case, with a short driveshaft between the trans and the transfer case. Because I need a short transmission, and the ratios are appropriate for a 235, I am using a 2005 Mustang V6 T5. The two problems to overcome, are the remote shifter used in 2005, and the input shaft is 1.25" longer.

Right now I am working on the shifter.  The owner wants the shift lever to come through the same hole in the floor as the stock lever, so it needs a bend at the bottom to go forward, and then bend up.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

enjenjo

More on the shifter

enjenjo

Not much more done on this but an update any way. I have some welding yet to do, then I can pit the shifter back together.

Rochie

Nicely done Frank really nicely done

enjenjo

The shifter is pretty much done, it still has to be painted, and assembled. I am working on the adapter now, I bored a hole through it to accept a chevrolet throw out sleeve, the counterbored the back side for a cut down T5 front bearing retainer. Holes have been drilled for all the mounting bolts, but not tapped yet. There is 1.25" difference in the input shaft, the T5 is that much longer.

Charlie Chops 1940

Nice job Frank. The remote shifter on the the '05 & up Mustangs isn't one of Ford's shining engineering examples. I don't think the V8 trans would be as "easy" to do.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

kb426

TEAM SMART

enjenjo

The adapter is done, the shifter is done, now on to assembly.

enjenjo

I have the trans done. I am waiting on some parts so I can make the shift lever.

kb426

Woo Hoo! Great fix.
TEAM SMART

Mac

Swell job. All nicely detailed and everything. All that custom adaptation must come up to a hefty price tag.
Who\'s yer Data?