Jeep T.Case,F. Shaft Q. Thanks..

Started by Arnold, May 05, 2014, 09:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

Neighbours 02.
Dealer said it needs a front shaft..1G. Ouch.Said there can't be any play in it and..there is a risk of it breaking.They said it was unsafe to the point where they would not certify it to transfer it to his son.
Neighbour has just left it sitting for a few months.
Yesterday he decides to take a look.
He says there is some play..when he rotates the front shaft  at the transfer case..in the case..in 2wd.No play when it is in 4wd.There are no clunks going in and out of gear..reverse to forward quickly etc. No vibrations in 2wd.,4wd,(part and full time)..even at speed.No clunking in corners,tight turns.

I crawled under it.Yes there is play when the shaft is rotated in 2wd in the transfer case.I have driven much worse.I think every transfer case I have ever seen has play there.Doesn't seem like a a big deal to me..but I don't know Jeep T. Cases either.No play in 4wd.
  There is a bit more play somewhere between the front yoke and the wheel hub(probably the dif. side gears) than I would like..but again..I have driven worse.

I dunno..I don't think there is anything wrong with this. Something I am missing? I do know a fair bit..and have had enough 4x4's.plow trucks,fixed the things,changed T cases,difs,shafts etc
just NO experience or knowledge of Jeep T. Cases or this ftont dif.

wayne petty

how to replace the CV joint on the front drive shaft..

these will probably help you...

Arnold

Quote from: "wayne petty"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJLzCTRKVqY

how to replace the CV joint on the front drive shaft..

these will probably help you...

Thanks Wayne..The ONLY play I found  is IN the T case, (and some somewhere in the front dif.hub..)((probably the dif side gears))NOT anywhere in the shaft/joint.
 I told him to call them(the dealer) and tell them that he..and I. could not find ANY play in the shaft..and to put this thing on the hoist and have someone there SHOW him where the play is.

Thanks..