Rear end widths again

Started by sirstude, April 05, 2014, 11:01:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirstude

I have a chart that shows rear end widths, but does anyone know on the Ford 8.8 like in th Fox Body and later Mustangs?  Looking for the width wheel mounting to wheel mounting.  Just kind of curious right now.

Thanks
Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

enjenjo

Fox Mustang is about 61" with 4 lugs. SN95 Mustang interchanges with a Fox, about 1/2" wider on each side, and 5 lugs. Explorer and Ranger about 58" with 5 lugs. Crown Vic about 64" with 5 lugs
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

sirstude

Thanks Frank, I had no idea the the Mustangs were so wide.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Charlie Chops 1940

These late model cars have wheels that are flat on the front face although the cars don't seem to be particularly wide. I'm thinking that the wheels offset to the inside allows for better wearing front wheel bearing designs that coincidentally aren't as readily service able, being sealed and harder to change and can't be cleaned and re-greased. The rea rends follow the front width so that wheels aren't also a problem.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

jaybee

The reverse offset also makes the scrub radius correct even with the wider front tires that are more common today.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)