leather steering wheel

Started by enjenjo, March 31, 2014, 07:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

how hard is it to leather wrap a steering wheel?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "enjenjo"how hard is it to leather wrap a steering wheel?

I have studied this some.  I do not think it is to hard.  I have a book with some information.

I will try to call you tomorrow.  Today was crazy.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

Very helpful john. Thank you

Carnut

Well don't know if this is what is being asked, but I've put 'leather wrap' kit installs on several of my steering wheel's. If that is what you are asking it's gotta be easy because I was able to do it.

My 40 Ford

My 61 Chrysler

enjenjo

QuoteWell don't know if this is what is being asked, but I've put 'leather wrap' kit installs on several of my steering wheel's. If that is what you are asking it's gotta be easy because I was able to do it.

Where did you get the kits, that looks pretty good.

Carnut

Heh, heh, well as usual everything I've done is about 20yrs+ old.

The brand is https://www.wheelskins.com/ but I got them thru J.C. WHitney back in the day.

I think the ones I got fit perfectly for the wheel size I ordered.

I used a simple lacing stitch and over a couple of installations I went out and bought some better leather sewing needles to do the stitching.

There are better and more professional types of stitching and threads that could be used to make them look even more 'factory' in style.

enjenjo

thanks, I'll look into that, it looks like a good site

idrivejunk

I haven't been able to find leather wraps anywhere you can walk into yet this century. Seems those awful slip-on rings are whats socially acceptable now. Not for me. Last time I wrapped one was around 1998 and it wasn't difficult, came out great but they sure have to fit right to look nice.
Matt