T-5 trans options for 1958 Corvette ?

Started by kb426, March 22, 2014, 07:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

One of my friends has a 58 vette. What is the best t5 options for him? Is the early 90's Camaro an easy fit? He's not a fabricator but very capable at bolt in. He also wants it to clear the original seats.
TEAM SMART

Charlie Chops 1940

Probably not an easy fit. The frame has a very tight x member. The shifter for the 4 speed bolts to the side of the trans and is offset  is offset to the left of center 3 inches or so. The T5 shifter is centered and is further back.

The Corvette trans tunnel is nit removable so all work would have to be done from underneath. The x is tied together at the center with welded plates upper and lower.

Not saying it can't be done but it won't be pretty.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Charlie Chops 1940

I looked at Summits transmission tech page. The shifter is probably a couple inches back on the T5. However the transmissions are close in length.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

Charlie Chops 1940

How about a 55-64 Chevy passenger car 3 speed overdrive?

Charlie

A Hooligan!

kb426

That's a good suggestion but I don't think the owner will want to do that. I started a thread asking about a A833 trans that 4th is overdrive, that might be an option. After your first posts, I see that this isn't an easy conversion. Thanks for your help. If you have any other ideas, I 'm interested.
TEAM SMART