I need some info on selling a car

Started by BFS57, March 17, 2014, 09:08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
Well, this under employment thing has dragged on to a point of thinking about selling my 32 Vicky.
I have some reservations about the better way to post this car for sale and I really have reservations on just how can I make sure I get payment in these days of "hoodwinkers" everywhere!
So I would like for any of you guys and dolls that have experience in this kind of thing to toss a few words of education my way!
I am aware that the market is really "soft" right now but I think I can work around that problem if I can get interested parties to make an offer or two.
Thanks I know everybody here has always been so helpful!

Bruce

rumrumm

That's too bad about selling your deuce. But if you decide to go ahead with the sale, I can respond to how I sold my previous rod in 2000. I advertised on several websites and the eventual buyer saw my ad on Auto Trader. When he came to see the car and decided to buy it, he had a lot of cash but only enough for 2/3 of the agreed upon price, so we drove to my bank, and my bank spoke with his bank, and a bank to bank transfer was arranged for the remainder. I would only be comfortable accepting cash or a bank to bank electronic transfer of funds.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

ragdol

I posted on carsonline.com, & sold my '51 Chevy P/U in about 4 weeks at near my price. Very pleased, $45 until it sells with 4 pics & unlimited text The buyer was from Canada, so he couldn't bring a lot of cash over the border without raising suspicion, so he brought a bank check which we took to my bank, who called his bank to verify that there was funds to cover the check. Everything worked out well. I understand a bank transfer can take several days to complete. Good luck, there a lot of kooks out there. Larry

Uncle Bob

Sold my '36 3w from the HAMB about a year ago, not familiar with your car enough to know if it fits there.  In the past have used a few of the usual suspects for online ads with Auto Trader being the most effective.  HR Hotline seems to aim more at the higher end type street rods so might be a good one if the style fits........I got crickets on the one I did there 8-10 years ago.

Wire transfer (bank to bank) is the best way, or least susceptible to fraud if you prefer, to transfer the money.  FedEx the title after payment clears as a courtesy to the buyer........it helps them feel they got something for their money sooner.

Again, depending on the style of the car, be prepared for foreign interest.  I had just over 20 what I would consider serious interested parties in my car...............2/3 were from oversees with half those from Oz or NZ.  They're buying blind, so be prepared to send lots of good pics and lots of good written descriptions.  I encouraged them to hire a pro to look the car over, but for whatever reason(s) there was resistance to that.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

58 Yeoman

A little off topic, but when I finally sold my house in '09, I had had it advertised on For Sale By Owner, CL, a realtor in Chicago, and maybe a couple other places.  The people who ended up buying it, had made a wrong turn looking for a pizza place, and saw my FSBO sign in the front yard.

So...be sure to also park it out front with a sign in the window.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

BFS57

Hello;
Again great answers. Thanks, keep em coming.
My Vicky is pretty much high end looking but basically a slick cruiser. I have worked the suspension over to the point that as it goes down the street it has a really smooth ride, even when hitting pot holes.a
engine and trans are really agreat! lots of Lokar, and other billet features, Really nice Custom interior!
I really hate to part with it but my lack of a full time, descent paying job are gone for now and my age seems to be a stumbling stone for most people!
Anyway I will get some more photos done up so that I have plenty to send someone. I do have a detailed list of components.

Bruce

phat rat

Have you given EBay any consideration? Place a reserve on it that you would feel comfortable with and see what happens. You would have world wide exposure and sale or no sale in a week
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

BFS57

Quote from: "phat rat"Have you given EBay any consideration? Place a reserve on it that you would feel comfortable with and see what happens. You would have world wide exposure and sale or no sale in a week

Hello;
I have considered EBAY but I don't know how I would get paid from a potential sale? I have only sold parts on EBAY and Pay Pal worked pretty good. Does Pay Pal work for that kind of $$$? (30+K) Or does anyone know just how I would receive my $$$ from selling a car on EBAY?

Bruce

58 Yeoman

What sellers normally do with selling a high end car is have the seller pay a small amount to paypal, then get paid the rest another way.

I sold a '74 Buick back in the late 90's on ebay to a pilot in Texas.  It was only about $1500, and he paid by check, and said someone would come by later to pick it up.  After the check had cleared, a couple weeks later a young couple stopped to pick up the car.  They were on their way back to Texas driving another car the pilot had bought on the east coast.

He would fly them close to the destination, then pay them to drive his cars to Texas.  That's the kind of job that I want.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

416Ford

When my wife and I sold our Oldsmobile convertible we used Autotrader.com. The purchaser sent all the money to us via Western Union. After we received the money we called the trucking company and they came and picked up the car.
We knew the driver so he delivered the title also.
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

phat rat

Quote from: "BFS57"
Quote from: "phat rat"Have you given EBay any consideration? Place a reserve on it that you would feel comfortable with and see what happens. You would have world wide exposure and sale or no sale in a week

Hello;
I have considered EBAY but I don't know how I would get paid from a potential sale? I have only sold parts on EBAY and Pay Pal worked pretty good. Does Pay Pal work for that kind of $$$? (30+K) Or does anyone know just how I would receive my $$$ from selling a car on EBAY?

Bruce

Right now I have my 85 dually on EBay and I've been contacted by a fellow from Norway who's interested. I won't do Paypal with him only a wire transfer from his bank to mine. Last Oct. I sold my 52 Vicky on EBay  to a guy in Al.. In that case I took a deposit using Paypal and the rest in cash when I delivered it. I would never consider a personal check, cashiers check or a money order other than a postal money order as method of payment
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.