Anyone know how to sell a title?

Started by BFS57, January 31, 2014, 03:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
Just purchased a car as a donor for my 57 chevy. The PO used this car for demonstration and it is pretty hacked up, and will even be more hacked up after I get through with it.
I did receive a clear title (paper) and I have a tag on the drivers side door jam, and also a cowl tag on the firewall. I am trying to squeeze any amount of $$ out of this car to recoupe some of my $$ spent. Can I sell the title, and how do I go about doing just such a thing?

Bruce

Beck

I have seen them sold out of the back of trucks at the swap meets. Most of those guys have boxes full. The pricing depends on the year/make. The 57 would be a bit higher on the price scale. Those I was interested in, 32 fords, were always at the top, since guys like me were trying to make their fiberglass cars appear ligit to the state.
If advertizing I wouldn't advertize a "title". I would list it as collectable paperwork. I am sure the law enforcement guys would have a negative opinion of such a sale.
Someone here may send a PM needing one??
Anyone have any collectable paper out there for sale?? Late 40s early 50s Willys truck?

Harry

Charlie Chops 1940

I believe titles as a salable item are persona non Grata on eBay these days
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

BFS57

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"I believe titles as a salable item are persona non Grata on eBay these days

Hello;
I don't have any plans to sell it on EBAY but at local swaps that might be another story. Think I will start with a $200 price tag and see what linds of offers I get.

Bruce

BFS57

Hello;
After the firestorm I created on another site, I really don't know if selling the title without the car is such a good thing! I do need to recoupe some of the money I spent to repair my car.
I am trying to sell the (or whats left of it) the whole car as I don't have any interest to pull parts off and head to various swaps to "get my money back" But I will if nobody seems interested.
I got a response from a "classic Car" recycler local to me. Now take into consideration that most of the cars that they have ar REALLY RUSTY! and they arn't seeming to be interested for "good useable parts car" or maybe it's the $1200 I am asking for it.

Bruce

enjenjo

To be honest, selling a title is against the law, so that is why you are getting the push back. how would you like to be the guy who has his car stolen, and find it years later with another VIN number and a fake title. A buddy of mine was burned like that some years back.

If it was me, I would advertise it as parts, and then sell what is left with a title. Doing that is legal.

$1200 for a parts car is about retail price. The classic car salvage has to have room to make money, and if they don't, they are not interested.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

When you bought it did you put the title in your name? When you get rid of it make sure the title gets out of your name to someone else or JUNK. Trying to stay well on this project can make you sick for a long time if you don't get clear out of it. GPster

BFS57

Hello;
Well, for me to clear my $$ back I guess I will have to  take what I can off the car and take it to local swaps and try to see it piece by piece.
I didn't sign anything when I bought the car so I'm OK that way, Guess I will just junk the frame with the front suspension and rearend (in tact) in it, hate to see those kinds of parts go into scrap yard!
I figured that if I sell the parts I have that should break me even! Thats counting that I get $300.00  for the frame.

Bruce

lofat46

As someone who had 30 + years in law enforcement I suggest you be careful, very, very careful.  Removing/selling the VIN plate is a felony in most states as is selling a title illegal in most states.  If you are going to sell what's left of your parts car to a salvage yard a reputable salvage yard will not take the car or what's left of it without the VIN plate AND title.  They have to keep track of any vehicle  or parts of that come and go through their yard.  Most states will do surprise inspections of salvage yards and they had better have a title for every car that is in their yard or can face criminal charges.  Your best bet is to sell it as a parts car with title and get what you can for it. Just get a bill of sale with all the buyer's pertinent info (I always copy it from their driver's license) and his signature in case he doesn't transfer the title to his name and it comes back to you years down the road.