gasoline tank rust

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 26, 2014, 02:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne petty

Quote from: "Crosley"couple fotos of the inline filter at frame rail. From this filter, hose runs to the fuel pump on engine.

Sediment in this filter, tends to indicate to me the problem is the fuel line from the tank to the filter or the tank or both

Odd that so much sediment gets past the filter at the frame and up to the filter inside the Q jet

the filters listed above are 10 micron.. and will catch all that sediment..

even if its NOT ferris..

i used to use the steel can delco.. GF61B filters. they had such a fine media trap that when it clogged .. i could drain rusty water out of one side and clear gasoline out the other..

there are about 900 different fuel filters available thru AZ..

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "river1"

How old is the fuel line?

maybe the fuel line is rusting after the filter, as tom mentions above

later jim

Fuel lines are OEM to the car.  The Monte sold new at Midway Chevrolet here in town.

Could be the lines, will need to check.  May instal a filter inline at the tank.  See if that filter fills with sediment to locate source of this stuff.

I dont think it is bad gasoline.  Hundreds of cars fill up at Costco near me on  daily basis
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

taxpyer

Everything I own is old so I deal with this problem every now and then. I've found that "Marine Clean" by POR works great to get the red !@#$ out of the tank.
The alcohol in the gas these days will break down old fuel residue and also it's hydroscopic and will allow water to invade your fuel system if the car is sitting alot. I use a fuel stabilizer to counteract that. This is a very common problem but once the red is gone you should be trouble free. I had it so bad I couldn't keep fuel filters in my truck but it eventually cleaned up. That was when they first started putting alcohol in the gas. I did a POR tank treatment system in an old (60 yr) Jeep and the problem was gone instantly.
Good luck..............
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

Crosley.In.AZ

thanks to Wayne for numbers on 3/8 inch size filter EFI type.  

FRAM G7333 number.  Fits many EFI vehicles on GM brand.  I noticed it fits into 2000 Express vans and others, I figured it would filter real small particles

That was the path I was headed to, I had not found a larger tube size filter till wayne posted info.  

Filter is installed on Monte Carlo just before the fuel pump. IF the filter inside the Q Jet, clogs again; then I know the problem is the steel line from pump to carb.  I hope

Will see what happens in next few weeks.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)