Tranny swap

Started by 40 Chev Coupe, January 28, 2014, 10:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

40 Chev Coupe

Looking for a not so expensive tranny swap in my 69 Camaro. I currently have a Saginaw 3 speed, looking to get an over drive for better gas mileage. So, Im open for any suggestions on a swap.

Harry

Lots of "trannys" down in the Phillipines.  :roll:

58 Yeoman

I bought an '83 Trans AM to strip down.  It had a 305/5spd in it.  It was pretty cheap considering that the engine and trans had been rebuilt, but the body was pretty far gone.  Look around...wouldn't something like a 5 spd fit?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Arnold

I have never done well on rpm reduction to reduce fuel consumption.
Almost all the ones I tinkered around with were carb(usually Q jets) sbc's I found that a 3.42 to 3.73 gear was best for mileage.
I drive about 55-65mph.

My .02

btw my own daily driver burns less gas at 60mph than it does at 50mph.
(3.73 gears)

rumrumm

Do you want to stick with a manual transmission or switch to an automatic?
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

40 Chev Coupe

Yes, I would like to stick with a manual.

kb426

I'm a 5 speed fan all the way. The camaro swap can be used with later model parts without too much difficulty. The cost maybe more than you want.
TEAM SMART

40 Chev Coupe

I would like to keep the cost down, because for the 2500 for  tremec, I can buy alot of gas.

kb426

I was thinking t5 that was oem in camaros.
TEAM SMART

wayne petty

81 to 86 chevy trucks also had a 4 speed overdrive A833 that might be a bolt in.. i am not sure..

i know they had ford versions.. mopar versions and GM versions..

you can tell that its an overdrive just by the way the shift linkage arms are on the side of the transmission..

where the 4/3  2/1 levers are usually in the same direction. either up or down.. usually down.. the A833 overdrive will have one up and one down..

the A833 overdrive.. switches the location of the 3/4 shift lever on the outside of the case.. as they made the 3rd position as an overdrive.. and 4th as straight thru ..

so with the flip.. 4th straight thru is now located in third on the shifter and the 4th location is actually over driving thru the cluster gear..

40 Chev Coupe

Yes Wayne your right, the Chev version is the np 440. Cant seem to find one, you need to get the bellhousing, transmision, and the shifter. They dont make the shifter anymore.