New old stock

Started by Okiedokie, December 15, 2013, 10:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okiedokie

I have never before purchased a NOS item until now. After buying two "new" 79/80 GM master cylinders only to have each leak past the front cup, I decided to try an advertised on Ebay NOS one. [No I did not mix fluids, nor were any contaminants involved] Upon receiving the NOS one I removed the lid only to find a small amount of fluid inside. If you have any experience with NOS MC's, would you find this odd?

enjenjo

Most new cylinders have a brake cylinder lubericant in them when assembled. It's kind of like a thick brake fluid. It's there to keep the seals soft, and to prevent corrosion. If that is what you are talking about, that is normal.

NOS is not always great. I installed a NOS dash panel in a 49 Crosley a couple years ago. When I fired the engine up, I had oil everywhere. Come to find out that somewhere along the line the oil pressure gauge had been replaced with a junk one, apparently back when it was a new car, then stuck back on the shelf.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Okiedokie

Thanks enjenjo. I can't recall seeing it in other "new" parts house MC's. So should I flush it out prior to bench bleeding it? Thanks for your help. Joe

enjenjo

If it's been on a shelf for a long time, it might not be a bad idea to disassemble it, clean all the parts, and reassemble with fresh brake fluid as a lube, before bench bleeding it and installing it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Okiedokie

Will do, thanks again.