EFI diagnostic question

Started by jaybee, November 14, 2013, 02:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

On a 2000 Ford pushrod V6 is it acceptable to run the engine with one fuel injector unplugged for a time, or will that damage the PCM?

Obviously it'll set a code.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

rooster

Quote from: "jaybee"On a 2000 Ford pushrod V6 is it acceptable to run the engine with one fuel injector unplugged for a time, or will that damage the PCM?

I think you can do that but expect the computer to shut that injector driver down after a few seconds of running! (to rich)

Food for thought:

@6:40

What are you doing?

jaybee

Thanks. I've used noid lights before and they're very handy...I just didn't have one handy.

rooster

Quote from: "jaybee"Thanks. I've used noid lights before and they're very handy...I just didn't have one handy.

for checking the injector:

PS: your problem is my training!

jaybee

rooster, thanks for all your help.

wayne petty

Quote from: "jaybee"On a 2000 Ford pushrod V6 is it acceptable to run the engine with one fuel injector unplugged for a time, or will that damage the PCM?

Before we go too far... whats the application...  taurur or ranger...  distributor or DIS with  six post coil???

if you have a DIS with a six post coil..

change the coil first with a new one..  they tend to have cracks across the bottom of the epoxy potting compound..  these are almost all overheated and will have one post.. that fails a coil output high voltage test.. as that side of one of the double ended coils is shorted..  this takes a digital hand held scope to sort out.. i happen to have one.. but its far more cost effective to toss a BRAND new coil on it..

as far as i can tell.. the misfire is the lack of the high voltage ability. or the coil is leaking to the ground above a certain voltage then spark from another cylinder is connected thru... its hard to say.. i am not that smart.. other than knowing about the coil failures.. the single post coils are also failure prone..

for testing the fuel injector that is one way to check to see which one is failed.

the scanner danner video covers several ways of testing.

ohm test.. usually with the meter at 200 OHMS scale.. or 2K ohms scale..

i also use a customized fuel injector connector pigtail..

GP Sorensen/Fuel Injector Wiring Connector Part Number: 800-9213
http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/gps/800-9213/image/4/
or
GP Sorensen/Fuel Injector Wiring Connector Part Number: 6414
either of these is under 10 bucks..
http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/additional-prod-images/en/US/gps/6414/3/image/4/

a pair of these.. one red.. one  black..
pomona Model:    6545
Description:    BANANA PLUG WITH SAFETY COLLAR, SOLDERLESS
http://www.pomonaelectronics.com/images/large/1825.jpg

you can use a remote starter button to supply power to one side thru the amp meter plugs on the volt meter for a 5 second max amp draw test on the injector coil.. to see if its shorted..

i also.. use and recommend that half a can of POUR type Barryman B12 chemtool is poured into the almost full fuel tank..  and driven. this is barryman #0116..   NOT  CARB DIP. not spray..  please use a transmission funnel.. and it might be a good idea to change the fuel filter first..

hint.. if the fuel filter is dirty. before you swap the new one in..  blow thru it..  have somebody cycle the key on while you hold a bottle to the line.. so you get out any backed up dirty fuel..   please.. return the safety locks to the fuel filter connections..  remember the bridge limo fire..

if the injector passes the ohms and the amp test.. and you still think its clogged.. you can remove the injectors with care..  and use several sections of fuel hose to step down to the spray nozzle straw..   pulsing the injector open with a 9 volt battery and the tool above.. while spraying conventional B12 carb cleaner spray thru them will clean them out..

rooster

Also found this related to injector dropout under a load!

Paul use's a scope for this!