Glen and his 1966 Nova drag car

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, November 14, 2013, 11:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Many folks here know of Glen and his 66 Nova build.

Glen is in Las Vegas at a race... I received a text message today;

the Nova ran a 7.554  at 184.6 mph

Congrats to Glen , he is getting fast
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

jaybee

That car is obviously as fast as it is cool. Then again with the dyno run he told us about the real trick would be putting it on the track.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Digger

Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

UGLY OLDS

That's flyin' for a full size steel car ... 8)   I wonder if he has it completely "Dialed In" yet  :?:  :idea:

Gongrats to Glen.... );b(

Bob ...... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Glen

Thanks Tony, we have had a good couple of days at the track.  I kind of gave up on trying to get the nova down the Friday night tracks.....I think the more I fought the poorly prepped tracks the more I was tearing stuff up.  

We signed up for PSCS's Street Car Super Nationals and arrived Wednesday.  The first pass we made on Thursday was the 7.55 @ 184.   Steve Morris flew in to help and I asked him to knock down the HP on the launch, he did and it left pretty soft at 1.24 60 ft. times.  At about mid track I let off to 55% TPS and then rolled back to 100% within 2 seconds per the datalog.

We turned up the power and went back, its the pass in the right lane on this video and it carried the front out passed 100 FT.

He turned it up a little more and it carried the front end, then really hiked back up at about mid track and started waving left and right......it would have been a great pass but I have picked up a gremlin, my auto shifter is not firing so it banged the rev limiter, I let off and grabbed second only to run a 7.89.  It was a .10 quicker at the 330 ft mark than the 7.55 pass so it would have been better.  Just when  you think your about to set the world on fire, something sneaks up....it was still a big success.

I cant tell you how hard this car pulls, when you leave the line just put your head back because that is where it is going to end up.  I have lots of new data and things I need to adjust so we are calling it a week and headed home tomorrow.

these are out of sequence, they go in order 2nd, 3rd, and 1st, you should see a difference on the third launch, its much softer.

Glen

check out the datalog......the black line is Throttle position on the 7.55 pass.

UGLY OLDS

Looks good Glen ....  8)  Launch's & runs nice & straight...  
Like I said in my other post ..." Once he gets it "Dialed In" .....

That is an "E-Ticket" ride for sure .... );b(

Bob.... :wink:

kb426

Glen, I want to give you some free advice from an old guy: figure out what your normal helmet position is in relation to the roll cage. Cut a block of foam and fasten it to that area somehow so your neck isn't supporting the mass of your head and helmet. This may keep you from having problems with your upper neck on down the road. You're making progress. Good job!
TEAM SMART

Glen

Thanks, there is a pad there now....but I need to make it a little thicker.

Here is a clip of some more passes:  

Mikej

Thanks Glen. I do enjoy the videos. Quite a ride..

Crosley.In.AZ

Big learning curve for Glen going that fast. Needs to develope a routine and he will.  Glen is Extremely methodical in his approach to stuff.  Wish I had that trait.

I read an article on Bob GLidden about his routine in drag racing. It was amazing how he did everything the same for each race.  He even warmed up each electric  fuel pump the same as he did a burn out and staged the car. Back in those days they ran 2 lectric pumps. Bob would cycle each pump the same running time as he warmed the tires and staged.  Amazing guy

Glen has a goal in mind.  he will get there, i've had the pleasure to watch him up close
Tony

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "Glen"Thanks, there is a pad there now....but I need to make it a little thicker.

QuoteHere is a clip of some more passes:  

Gee Glen ....They all go by soooo  FAST .... :shock:    

Lookin' GOOD ... 8)

Bob......... :wink:

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"
   Gee Glen ....They all go by soooo  FAST .... :shock:    

Lookin' GOOD ... 8)

Bob......... :wink:

:lol:   ,,,,, I've told Glen that I get more  track time in my 15 second passes with my Falcon.
Tony

Glen

I wanted to point out that we accomplished this on a 10.5" wide tire.
The PSCA has a outlaw 10.5 class that allows you to run just about any combo as long as you use a 10.5" wide tire.

Billy Glidden was in the class with me, multiple Pro Stock style chassis/body combos and a couple of pro mod chassis/bodied cars.

Mickey thompsons 10.5 tire is pretty awesome.

I improved my 60 ft, times, 330 ft. times and half track times better than the 7.55 run,  but never put together a full pass to top the 7.55 run.

unklian