Good looking idea but does it work?

Started by GPster, October 11, 2013, 10:20:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

My Jeepster project is sitting on an '87 GMC S15 swb  pick-up frame. It is just a single gas tank with the filler neck on the driver's side with the tank in front of the rear axel. The running gear and the electrics on this vehicle are mostly from the S15 but to be able to fill the gas tank I'm building a custom filler neck to mate the Jeepster body to the S15 gas tank which is in it's stock location in the truck's frame. The filler neck on the tank is on the upper edge of the tank's side so there is an air vent from the top of the tank that is connected to the top of the tank's filler neck (near but below the cap) with a rubber hose ( 5/8"ID ?). The stock S15 filler neck had a bracket on it's side for this vent hose to pass through so it was somewhat secure in it's passing from the top of the tank to it's barbed fitting at the top of the filler neck. I've tried to incorporate these features in the filler neck that I am making but I notice that if I run this rubber hose through the bracket's eyelet it will form a "Trap" which I wouldn't think you would want in a vent line. It has of course been years since I gathered these pieces and the original purchase didn't include the truck's bed but I've duplicated everything as best as I can imagine. Am I hunting for something to worry about or have I messed up? GPster

jaybee

How much length is in this low spot? Seems to me it probably isn't a big issue as any air movement should be enough to pull any liquid back down toward the tank or blow it up into the filler neck.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

GPster

I went into Google and got a bunch pictures and U tubes on removing the gas tank. Nothing showed me a real clear picture and there seemed to be so many examples that I couldn't be sure of any example. Some used a solid tube with rubber on each end and those examples seemed to answer my concerns. I think I'll disregard the eyelet and make a solid tube (soft copper?) to fit in the space allowed that will be high enough to eliminate the trap. That way I can also make it to the connection that I might have brazed on the wrong side of the filler neck by the gas cap. Of course all of this manufacturing emptied the oxygen tank on my torches so the finish will be forthcoming. GPster

wayne petty

there are a few ways to solve this low spot issue...

look at how say a 90 ford ranger filler neck works...

the fuel filler neck is coaxial..

the incoming fuel is kept channeled in a 7/8 ID hose that runs inside the 1 and 3/4 or so hose...  as long as the inner hose dispenses into the tank past the end of the hose barb its going over on the tank .. it does not back fill and kick the gas nozzle safety off..

you might take a look over at the dorman products site.. for fuel filler necks..

so you can visualize something that might fit your needs.. then look up the application so you can go junk yarding to grab one..

both goodyear and gates sells various sizes and bends of fuel filler hose..

http://www.goodyearep.com/productsdetail.aspx?id=10414

i was even thinking about this issue for circle track racing...

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb476/waynep712/fuelcellquickfillidea.jpg?t=1381510833

by having 2 different porositys of foam..

so the incoming fuel is dispensed into the middle of the fuel cell or even close to the bottom..  into course foam.. so it can spread out and fill from the bottom.. this allows any vapors to move upward and out the vent without liquid fuel blocking the way...

getting rid of the CHUG CHUG CHUG has been an issue for a while..

GPster

Back in the old days (before '79) when I used to spend my lunch hours and Saturday afternoons in a junk yard I used to have a better idea what was available. That used to supply new-enough technology for working on '48 or earlier vehicles. Back then the newest OEM replacement part that Dorman cataloged was replacement rear brake backing plates for Chevy Chevettes  which changed the practice of pulling complete rear ends out of them because they were a hot seller. I ransomed a Dorman catalog from a parts store in the mid '90s thinking that that would put me at the cutting edge of technology but that's the newest I have so I'm still 15 years behind. I never thought the fuel filler necks would have been and aftermarket replacement item and I never would have ventured into the internet without a hint. I may still have to stay with my self-manufactured fix because of the space that I have to work with but of Dorman's 5 pages of items the very last one. 577-934 for '90 - '96 Dodge Dakotas has some promise. I may just see if our local distributer has one in stock. If it looks good and fits then I'll return it and look for a donor. Then I'll have to remember that to put gas on a '48 Willys Jeepster's S15 GMC gas (fuel) tank you have to remove the Dodge Dakota's gas cap. GPster