Home Improvement question: Synthetic Marble etching ?

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, October 06, 2013, 02:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Looking at a store bought propane firepit thingy. TOp surround material is called Marble, Although I think it is faux marble.  Smooth finish in black. My wife likes the over all fire pit, not the top smooth finish.

I was wondering if I could acid etch the material to dull and texture it.  Of course the experts at Lowes "dont know for sure"

Any body worked with  this stuff?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

I have window ledges made from a composite that is similar to fiberglass. I don't know if this stuff has a surface coat that you would break through or not. This stuff is almost an inch in thickness. The color is the same all through it. Not knowing what product you're looking at, I'd be afraid to use acid. Scotchbrite would be what I would try.
TEAM SMART

phat rat

I think you could sand it. You might also try scuffing it with Scotchbrite to take care of the smoothness and shine.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

river1

Sandblast it?

is there a manufacturer you could call/email?

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

phat46

Sandblast was my first thought also. Isn't that how they inscribe headstones?

Glen

Call cohills they are experts on concrete staining, acid, epoxy and faux finishes.  The acid reacts to the product in the concrete so if the stone you have does not contain that same substance....it probably wont work.