Ideas, where to look and what to ask for.

Started by GPster, September 11, 2013, 09:42:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

I've been in the outer edge of car building for so long I can't even think of ways to solve some problems. I've got body floor bracing and frame mounts constructed to mount the back end of the Jeepster body to the frame. The floor is high enough to miss the "kick-up" of the frame over the rear axel and the floor will be parallel to the top of the main frame. Right now I have the back body section sitting on the mounts with wood spacers that are 3/4" thick. I'd like to find some rubber biscuits, doughnuts, hockey pucks that are about 2" in diameter and 3/4" thick that have or I can make about a 3/8" hole in the center of them, I only need four of them. The last time I did this was about 40 years ago and in the heating/air conditioning/refrigeration there was enough compressor and electric motor mounting that I was never at a loss for ideas but my mind has seemed to have retired in the meantime. I'd look at McMaster Carr but I can't even think of a title or category. The last time I did something like this was back in the '90s when I mounted the side car body back on it's frame after I had it painted. The I talked the auto body paint supply shop out of a bunch of those little rubber squee-gees that you spread body putty with. To get 3/4' thickness I think I need a better solution. Ideas? Suggestions? GPster

enjenjo

here you go  http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-1956-1957-55-56-57-CHEVY-CHEVROLET-FRONT-MOTOR-MOUNTS-UPPER-LOWER-SET-/230998841007

If you are not in a big hurry, I have a box ov rubber mounts, 1/2" thick, 3" diameter, 1/2" hole in the middle.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Thanks for getting my mind off of "Dead Center". When my concentration starts spiraling down I can't see things right in front of me. The solution doesn't seem so desperate now. Have a good time at the "ZOO". GPster

GPster

Well I found something that works in my hidden (buried) hardware. I found a pair of isolator mounts that were 2'" in diameter and 3/4" thick that 3/8" threaded studs vulcanized into each side. I had forgotten about them probably because I was thinking I needed 4.Then I found a pair of Dorman 2" rubber freeze out "knock-out" plug repairs and I just drilled out the expansion bolts and that gave me a couple more 2"dia. by 3/4" rubber discs with metal plates vulcanized in them. Jacking the body off the frame gave me a better look at another idea. The rear cross member in this S15 frame is kind of "Over-Kill" in this application and I could just part it from the frame rails at the rivets and pull it out. That might allow the frame to twist particularly because of the spring shackles. If I bolted a Reese Class III hitch at the back ( the Reese hitch for this application bolts to the sides of the rails) it would stiffen the rails and give some extra support to the Jeepster's continental style spare tire mount. The Reese hitch for this application is S10 and S15 from '85 to '97 so I should be able to fall over one fairly easy. The longer I type the less work I get done and I ought to be outside brazing the fourth side of that rectangular tubing. GPster