The Doane Spencer T-Bird at Auburn

Started by 39deluxe, September 03, 2013, 11:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

39deluxe

I have had a crush  on this car since I was a kid. I didn't see it in the catalog so I was very surprised to see it at the Auctions America sale in Auburn. Mr White was setting there and he has owned the car for 20 years. It sold no reserve for $100,000. A lot of money for an early T-Bird but here you are buying a Doane Spencer car and a lot of hot rod history.

In contrast, there was a white '55 Bird in the corral for sale asking $4200. Lots of mud in the quarters and a new paint job trying to hide it all. I would hate to see that car stripped. The good point is that all metal is available so it would be a good hot rod builder.

The Doane Spencer car has the coolest Y Block ever built, in my opinion. Here are a few photos. I also have a video of the car running and driving out of the building and another of of sale call. I'll post them too later.

Tom

Crap. Files are too big. I'll have to put the pics in an album and post a link.

39deluxe

Here is the link to my photo share site. Go into the Auburn 2013 album and the Spencer T-Bird starts on the 2nd page. Feel free to browse the other albums too. That's what they are there for.

Be patient. It takes a few minutes for the photos to load after you select an album.

Tom

https://tebcollection.shutterfly.com/#%3aemid%3dsite_addmembers%26cid%3dSHARE3SXXXX

enjenjo

Just to add something, this is not the original Doane Spencer Tbird, however it does have all the original parts off that car. It is a Clone built by Doane Spencer for his buddy using all the parts he removed from his car as he continued to race it. It's still the most beautiful 55 Bird I have ever seen, and a part of history.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

Gotta love the T-bird. One of my all-time favorites. The green '58 Bonneville on the first page looks like one Jack and I saw in Montana15 years ago or so.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

39deluxe

The Bonne was a Tri-Power car too. I had a friend who's dad had one the exact colors in high school.  The blue '32 and the S.C.O.T. blown flatty '33 were also owned by Kirk White. The T-Bird has been in his collection for 20 years.

Tom