The Future of Don's Hot Rod Page

Started by DRD57, September 07, 2004, 11:52:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRD57

I've created a monster.

The monthly allocation of bandwidth (12.5 gigabytes) was exceeded in the first day of the month. Now I have to decide if I want to step up and pay for even more bandwidth or just let the site sit there dormant for the remainder of the month.

I guess it's time to step up or step down. Stepping up would entail giving the site a better look with the use of some professional web site design software and doing something to make it more self supporting. I'm not sure what that would be, maybe T-shirt sales or making portions of it for subscription. The CD sales aren't doing it. Stepping down would mean leaving the projects up but drastically curtailing the event coverage or ditching the whole site.

I've met a lot of cool people because of the site and it's opened a lot of doors for me so, in some respects I can't imagine ending it but on the other hand the time, effort and cost get to be a real drain sometimes.

I'm open to any constructive ideas that any of you may have.

WZ JUNK

I do not know what to say.  I hope you know that I appreciate all your work and expense.  I wish I could help you carry the burden but money is always tight for me and I am currently financially embarrassed.  I hope you find a way to finance the site.  Is there such a thing as linking or placing your material on someone else's commercial site?
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

purplepickup

I don't know much about the bandwidth thing but it seems like some kind of subscription thing might work.  You could still have your main pages with your general stuff available to everyone and maybe some clickable thumbnails to preview, then if someone wanted to see the bulk of your pics and goodies they would have to pay a modest fee per month or year or whatever, to cover your expenses.  It would probably * a few people off to have to register but you shouldn't have to foot the bill all by yourself.

Donations might work but judging from the amounts I see on George Mc Dowell's Carnut site , I'd guess that the donations probably don't cover the expenses.
George

beatnik

That's a tuff one Don, we all enjoy the event coverage, but you have mentioned before how much bandwith it already used, and it sounds like it just got worse, what ever you do remember it's suppose to be fun.
If I have to explain it to you, You really wouldn?t understand

flamefink

Quote from: "DRD57"The CD sales aren't doing it.

I know its probably not the best timing, but I hope the little bit from my way will help. Put me on the list for an 04' if you put one together. If you do a T-shirt, I'll probably be interested in one of those too. I hate to see such a great source of car pics suffer...

Thanks,
Brett
Do you need a tetanus shot to ride in that thing?

alchevy

If you want to switch to another hosting company, let me know. My site and my car club's site uses a hosting company that just tripled the web space and doubled the bandwidth. We had 200mb to work with a piece and they upped it to 600mb a piece. All of this and they kept the price the same. The bandwidth is at 20gb and this is the low end plan that they offer for around $200 per year.
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

DRD57

Quote from: "40chevy"If you want to switch to another hosting company, let me know. My site and my car club's site uses a hosting company that just tripled the web space and doubled the bandwidth. We had 200mb to work with a piece and they upped it to 600mb a piece. All of this and they kept the price the same. The bandwidth is at 20gb and this is the low end plan that they offer for around $200 per year.

I'd like to check that out. What is the hosting co.?

alchevy

Quote from: "DRD57"
I'd like to check that out. What is the hosting co.?

www.hostway.com is where to find them.
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Fat Cat

Don you might take a look at ebay and look into the hosting setvices offered for aution there. I did it with a few of my different sites. I have couple that are on a deal of $8 for a year for 2 sites. Another I have on a deal of $9.99 a year with claimed unlimited bandwidth and disk space. So you might look there too.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "40chevy"If you want to switch to another hosting company, let me know. My site and my car club's site uses a hosting company that just tripled the web space and doubled the bandwidth. We had 200mb to work with a piece and they upped it to 600mb a piece. All of this and they kept the price the same. The bandwidth is at 20gb and this is the low end plan that they offer for around $200 per year.

Your package looked really good as I pay around $250 a year for 125 mb and 3 gb of bandwidth, but then I looked at that package you mentioned and it looks like there is a monthly limit of around 2,000,000 hits per month and I'm over that right now.  

I just called my provider and it looks like I can get another package from them for the same as I'm now paying now that will give me 10 gb bandwidth (monthly) with no daily limit and 150 mb storage.  Right now I only have about 50mb stored on the site, but the bandwidth is getting very close to the 3 gb per month limit.  They just have to move my stuff from the states to Canada as they bought up the company I use to be with.  Once that is done I can get the new package.  Why is life so complicated.

Don I don't know what to tell you about keeping or shutting down the site.  I currently sell enough of my store stuff on my site to pay for it with not much left over.  I just figure it is a wash and I get to have all my personal stuff on their to share with others and it is paid for.  I am going to try and get more aggressive with selling on my store side of the site this winter now that I'm finished building the house.

c ya, Sum

Crosley.In.AZ

Only thing I can offer is a suggestion to steer away from a T shirt sales  deal.

I have heard of many "selling T shirts to pay for something " deals  then when the shirts come in and are ready for sale......... people disappear.

Obviously I am NOT saying it will fail for you , but this is what i've heard from a few folks.

I've got so many T shirts now , I may never wear them all
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Bib_Overalls

I send my event pictures to Hot Rod Hotline.  No charge and they build the pages.  And they give the submitting reporter credit.  All I do is crop and resize them as necessary and submit them as a e-mail attachments.

Save your bandwidth for pictures of your project cars.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

MrMopar64

Quote from: "DRD57"I've created a monster.

The monthly allocation of bandwidth (12.5 gigabytes) was exceeded in the first day of the month. Now I have to decide if I want to step up and pay for even more bandwidth or just let the site sit there dormant for the remainder of the month.

I guess it's time to step up or step down. Stepping up would entail giving the site a better look with the use of some professional web site design software and doing something to make it more self supporting. I'm not sure what that would be, maybe T-shirt sales or making portions of it for subscription. The CD sales aren't doing it. Stepping down would mean leaving the projects up but drastically curtailing the event coverage or ditching the whole site.

I've met a lot of cool people because of the site and it's opened a lot of doors for me so, in some respects I can't imagine ending it but on the other hand the time, effort and cost get to be a real drain sometimes.

I'm open to any constructive ideas that any of you may have.

Hey Don
My son provides web hosting as part of his company and I talked to him tonight and he said for you to give him a call and he'll take care of you for you helping me out on the flames
Bill @ 714 746 3356 Greganti Consulting

BTW....... The rambler will be ready for flames soon

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol: