Water media stripping

Started by Beck, April 17, 2014, 10:42:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

Has anyone tried the water/crushed glass blasting for stripping a car?

I was surfing looking for stripping solutions for a little project and came across this. It isn't new technology but was new to me. It sounds like the equipment is expensive so it would be a contracted deal. The water keeps the dust down.

The other option is using my little tank blaster and using crushed glass as the media. Just using the glass is supposed to reduce the dust. No silica to deal with.

I just have 4 wheels and the bottoms of 2 front fenders to deal with right now.

Any thoughts?

Harry

If you use any form of glass, it contains silica.
Wear a good respirator.

sirstude

A friend of mine bought that setup.  It is just as much as a mess as regular media blasting.  The costs are pretty high also.  Does do a nice job, but requires a commercial compressor, the kind on a trailer with a 1.5 inch hose.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Beck

I called a local shop that does water media stripping. The price was $100 to $150 for 4 wheels. I declined.

I called a guy about purchasing a set of the 70's Z28 or Chevelle 5 spoke rally wheels last night. These must be getting in demand. He said they are repoping them now. The new ones are expensive, making his used ones too high for me. I have a set on a project car. These are the ones I was wanting stripped. They need rings and centers which I see on flee-bay for $185.

The price of car parts and restoration is still going up. I am getting to old and cheap for this.

ragdol

My local stripper gets $10/wheel. I just had 6 19.5" truck rims & 2 16" trailer rims blasted both sides, $80 bucks. Guess I'm lucky to have him.

40 Chev Coupe

A friend of mine had his 34 done in his own yard. Only took a couple of hours. Did it on a big tarp, so very little clean up. The cost was $900 for the whole car.
The thing about the water strip there is no warping, it actually keeps the metal cool.
The other thing I like is its done in your own yard.

txturbo

I bought one of the water/recycled glass blasters. last year. I blasted my whole 55 chevy pickup, the bed of a 40 Ford pickup and some misc fenders. Works great for stripping paint, body filler and light rust. Takes a little more effort on pitted areas. No dust but it still makes a mess.