Saturn ignition switch problem question

Started by 57larry, June 14, 2013, 10:09:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

57larry

daughter has a 2002 Saturn SC2 since new. lately when you put the ignition key in, the lock seems frozen, hard to turn. she has flipped the key over, turned the steering wheel and sometimes that's what it takes. any ideas? thanks

wayne petty

start with this you tube video on other gm ignition lock cylinders..

this may or MAY NOT BE the same as your saturn SC2..

there are several failure modes for saturn ignition lock cylinders..

worn keys.

worn tumblers in the lock

metal particles jamming the lock...

tumblers with burrs on the ends that don't slip thru to unlock the cylinder when the key is inserted..

parts stores sell the ignition cylinder plug and replacement wafers.

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/gen/LC65349/image/4/
sorenson LC65349

wells LS1061C

http://www.mypartsgarage.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/2d4f8e97e95bad8edae02baad48527f0/L/S/LS1061C_1.jpg

with some creative abilities.. you might be able to remove the lock cylinder .. clean the components.. drag the sides of the tumblers on a file to take off the burrs..  and reassemble for cheep..

phat46

Seems nearly every Saturn has that problem. We bought a Vue new from the dealer and three days later it wouldn't start because you couldn't turn the key. We had noticed that it was difficult to turn a few times, but chalked it up to a new key and figured it would loosen up. Had to have the car towed to the dealer and when I expressed my " concern" to the salesman that sold us the car he said it was because the keys were so precisely cut that the tiniest nick could cause them to jam up.... :roll:   I said " yeah it's not like they stamp them out thousands at a time "   :lol: everyone we knew with a Saturn had the same problem with the key. We still do to this day but usually a couple tries or a tug on the wheel will let it turn.  I wonder if a new dealer made key would help you.

wayne petty

57larry