I'm looking for this upholstery tool...

Started by My52Chebby, March 31, 2014, 05:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My52Chebby

I think that those punched holes for the speakers on the rear window shelf are done with punch plates instead of punching them one hole at a time.

Any idea who would sell those?

Thanks all.

My52Chebby

Glen

I think shops do those by hand.  I know Glenn Kramer does
 Every car is different.  Glenn draws his out on a cardboard template then punches them.

kb426

I was curious so I googled it. I didn't find anything. It'll be interesting to see if you find anything other than the hand method.
TEAM SMART

phat46

Could be done by a steel rule die shop like the one I used to work at, but it would cost about a grand for each die.... :lol:

enjenjo

If you know some one with a CNC mill, it would be no problem to create a template from 1/8" aluminum, and while holding it with clamps, punching the holes one at a time with a regular leather punch.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Glen

crappy small picture, but this was my buick.

BFS57

Hello;
The way it's done is outlined above. the upholster (custom) has made several templates over the years of their craft. they  hold the template in place and drill out the holes, by hand. Another way to "conceal" speakers is to use "tweed" style material (porus) over the areas where the speakers are.

Bruce

My52Chebby

Hi guys,

Thank you all for your input, I had also sent an email to Sid (Sid Chavers, upholsterer extraordinaire to Roy Brizio) asking the same question and he replied this morning.

He too says that over the years he's developed several patterns for speaker "grilles" and the holes are all punched by hand one at a time.

Here's a picture he sent me.

I guess, I'll get out the old geometry set and design my own pattern.

Thanks again guys.

My52Chebby
p.s.: Link to my '52 Chevy pickup build album on Fotki : http://public.fotki.com/skylark/1952-chevy-pickup/

kb426

It's kind of surprising that after all these years there's not something more automated. Nothing like some old fashioned craftsmanship.
TEAM SMART

wayne petty

my friend gus (rip) did stuff like this.. he always kept a slab of lead on the work bench .. so he did not dull the punches.    using a hammer to flatten the surface once in a while.. do you want a block of lead around??

one might want to invest in something like this..

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/12132920106274964790?q=leather+punch&client=firefox-a&hs=gP4&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=np&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.63934634,d.b2I,pv.xjs.s.en_US.XfwMuUWwEZU.O&biw=1362&bih=755&tch=1&ech=1&psi=z_o6U96PHsT72QXv2oDoBw.1396374224538.3&sa=X&ei=2Po6U6fQNeTAyAGGkIGYAQ&ved=0CMsBEPMCMAU

in case the link does not work..

Leather Factory Tool Punch Set Mini 6pc

tempered steel tubes come in a variety of sizes (5/64in/2mm; 3/32in/2.5mm; 1/8in/3mm; 9/64in/3.5mm; 5/32in/4mm and 11/64in/5mm) and securely screw into the handle using the included wrench. Imported.

just ideas...

Mac

Lay a pattern out on a piece of hardwood. Drill holes half way thru at each spot for press fitting pieces of steel tubing in your size choice . Sharpen the cutting end of each tubing piece with a sander before installing into block. Place your material on a scrap of softwood, position your "multipunch" and give it a good smack with a deadblow hammer.

Your 2nd speaker cloth will go much faster.  :lol:
Who\'s yer Data?

kb426

Mac, if I put the tubing in the lathe and machined it, I'd have a gasket cutter affair. If I ever need to do this, I'll remember that method.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Here's an idea, you can buy these stainless steel tubing inserts in several sizes, and they will punch through leather easily. You could insert them through holes in your template, put a pressure plate on top, and use them to punch your holes. As long as you backed it with something like wood, or hard rubber, you could reuse it several times. The inserts are the ID of the tubing, so a 1/4" insert is .133" diameter, a 3/8" insert is .215"

http://www.midlandindustrial.com/product.php?cat=Brass+Fittings&section=D.O.T.+Air+Brake++Nylon+Tubing&shape=&master=Stainless+Steel+Insert

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

purplepickup

How about taking it to a laser cutting shop that does custom work.  When I was working we had some leather keychains made for marketing with our company's logo cut into them.  There's a set of motorcycle leathers about 1/4 of the way down on this page with ventilation holes cut with a laser.  http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/rev-it/2010/  The pattern possibilities are endless.
George