Be careful out there

Started by enjenjo, May 26, 2013, 08:35:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I nearly burned my barn down this week, and never knew it. Shelby was mowing the yard, and an idler pulley froze on the mower deck. I was busy, so I told her to just put it in the barn and I would take care of it later.

Apparently it had gotten hot enough to start the dead grass on top of the deck on fire, and burned up the grass, and the belts on the deck. Fortunately for me, it then went out, a buddy of mine was not so lucky a few years ago,and he lost his whole barn when the mower caught fire.

I try not to weld at the end of a day, make sure the fire in the stove is  banked ect. But this time I blew it.I was lucky, so be careful.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Yes sir... lucky.  Fire is one very unforgiving item of nature.  I always use the leaf blower to blow off debris from the machine before placing in the garage

WHen we have The GoodGuys shop tour at the Hughes Performance place.... I give a little yada - yada speech to folks on transmission cooler line flow and pressure. Explain to NOT use cheap - budget hoses on cooler lines as I demonstrate the transmittin pressures on our dyno test machine.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat46

Yes, you definitely got lucky there! I leave my push mower outside for a while before it goes back in the garage for the same reason.

39deluxe

Quote from: "phat46"Yes, you definitely got lucky there! I leave my push mower outside for a while before it goes back in the garage for the same reason.

Me too. My John Deere deck accumulates a lot of grass during the mowing.

Tom

GPster

I wear long sleeve shirts not only due to the melanoma but also to keep from getting burned with sparks or hot slag while I'm working. Material burns and it's hard to get it over your head with the flames. GPster

Rrumbler

You sure dodged one there, Frank; that's not something you would normally think of as a source of ignition.  Just another thing to add to the mental checklist.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

Carps

I dial 1800getamanin, when he's done, he takes the mower, fuel and all the other leftovers with him.   :wink:

Leaves me more time to find other more imaginative methods to burn the garage down.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

tomslik

i just put my fergie and the bush hog in the shop when i'm done...;)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

UGLY OLDS

Gee....After seeing this , I better check with my wife & make SURE that she is putting the mowers & other yard things away safely when she is finished with them .... :shock:

Bob...... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

phat46

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"Gee....After seeing this , I better check with my wife & make SURE that she is putting the mowers & other yard things away safely when she is finished with them .... :shock:

Bob...... :wink:

Then when you back from the ER you can
finish the lawn!  :lol: