R12 automotive A/C conversions to 134A ?

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, May 26, 2013, 03:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Are freon conversions from R12 still a basic simple thing ?   Is 134a  the freon to convert to   or  something else now?

I have not worked on A/C in years.  I Stilll have vacuum pump and gauges for r12 and 134a.

Compressor spins , not siezed up..  A/C System appears empty with quick poke at the shrader valve by evap unit
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

I would be worried about the hoses, but R134 with an oil change is still the way to go as far as I know
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

Frank, why are you worried about the hoses?  Years ago, I charged an a/c after installing the adapters for R134, and didn't have any problems.  The '63 I just bought was charged with R134, but he said he ruined the compressor by the time he found all the leaks and had them fixed.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

tomslik

if it were me, i'd replace the compressor(esp since it was empty),accumulator/dryer,orfice tube and depending on what the hoses look like (oily?) maybe those too.

flush the condenser and evap, add 8ox of PAG oil (if the new comp came empty), charge it. sounds like a lot BUT the R-4 compressors are prone to leaking IF they live long enough to leak.

the other stuff is nessassary +you can take a chance on the compressor but I wouldn't

issat the car that exhaust manifold (that i sent ya years ago) went on?
looks like it's still a decent car..
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Frank, why are you worried about the hoses?  Years ago, I charged an a/c after installing the adapters for R134, and didn't have any problems.  The '63 I just bought was charged with R134, but he said he ruined the compressor by the time he found all the leaks and had them fixed.

Just the age of the hoses, they are 30 years old. As Tom mentioned the compressor is suspect too, they tend to leak around the case joint.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Frank, why are you worried about the hoses?  Years ago, I charged an a/c after installing the adapters for R134, and didn't have any problems.  The '63 I just bought was charged with R134, but he said he ruined the compressor by the time he found all the leaks and had them fixed.

Just the age of the hoses, they are 30 years old. As Tom mentioned the compressor is suspect too, they tend to leak around the case joint.

they haven't made a GOOD compressor since the A-6...;)

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"
Quote from: "enjenjo"

they haven't made a GOOD compressor since the A-6...;)

I would agree , the A6 was an amazing compressor.  That York thing that looked like a Briggs engine  used on Ford products could run for decades with no hiccups.  I seen many of those used as air compressors on off road - 4x4 stuff.

I will dig deeper into this car as I get time  and feel like it.  More questions will come along

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

papastoyss

When R 12 got scarce we used a "drop in" replacement called  Freeze12 w/ good results in our repair shop. It actually cooled better than R 12. If you can find a few cans that might be a good choice to find out where you stand w/ the compressor & other components.R134 has higher high side pressures & will leak more rapidly thru a marginal hose than R 12. R134 systems use a different hose that has a liner in it to better contain the gas, also the crimp style is different.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

58 Yeoman

1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

tomslik

58 Yeoman