PC software & car computer com!

Started by rooster, September 05, 2012, 07:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

With the price of some of these hand helds being so high I was wondering if anyone was useing software to do the same thing maybe more, for alot less money!

I found this  http://www.obd-2.com/ Anyone use this stuff? I think its called car code.

http://www.batauto.com/articles/Carcoderview.shtml

Fat Cat

Quote from: "rooster"With the price of some of these hand helds being so high I was wondering if anyone was useing software to do the same thing maybe more, for alot less money!

I found this  http://www.obd-2.com/ Anyone use this stuff? I think its called car code.

http://www.batauto.com/articles/Carcoderview.shtml

I have that software. It works ok but is nowhere near as useful as a full on scan tool. Another issue I have with it is that it has not seen an update in almost 3 years.

rooster

The reason I ask is because my Autoxray 2000 needs a upgrade to scan,
and then another upgrade for 1 car make! Around 200 bucks! Right now its
just a code reader and very little data, it will read the codes of obd1&2. It
will also erase the codes found.

It seems for the money (240 bucks) thay offer software&hardware that
capable of scaning everything sence 96 and up! And do much more! Will
not do obd 1.

What got me looking at this is that a buddy of mine needed his dizzy tuned
to within a degree or 2 + or- , he has a 98 7.4 chevy vortec in a dully
pickup, this cant be done without a scan tool that I know of. He's had it
done once and it was 75 bucks. I think car code will do this! Maybe wrong.

I dont have a laptop but I think this can be hooked up to a puter. I
downloaded the free car code broswer and have been trying to make
sence of it, there are sure alot of abrevations in there!

I seen on there web page that their going to upgrade next year! Probley
the price with it!

Do you think this is a good choise for a shadetree type guy?

rooster

Well I got this OBD 2 scan tool reader! Now i'm looking for a place to lean about it! I have had it for awhile just not making much progress.

Any suggestions on helpful site's?

Wayne:  I can't find that snap-on diagram you posted awhile back, can you help?

wayne petty

Quote from: "rooster"Well I got this OBD 2 scan tool reader! Now i'm looking for a place to lean about it! I have had it for awhile just not making much progress.

Any suggestions on helpful site's?

Wayne:  I can't find that snap-on diagram you posted awhile back, can you help?

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb476/waynep712/scandata.gif

rooster

My best guess that chart is for a certain car, The reference section telling us more about it!

Is a Tech 1 a old scan tool?

Guess I could type my own up!

wayne petty

bring up a car year, model, engine and fuel control system..

thats a very generic OBD1 GM chart.. and the numbers should have been closer.. but that would make fixing cars easy.. this one is probably 93 to 95.. but it all carries over to OBD2... the names have changed of some... and the way they are displayed have changed.. but the data stream is still the data stream and most of these are still in use..

there are variations for each and every model...

i have not had any luck in creating my own chart.. need to much brain power..

if you are working with an obd2 ford..  

go to motorcraftservice.com and in the left frame.. there is an obd2 something  for each year and one or 2 models..
here is a direct link.... select the year and any variation in model... and it will download around a 70 page PDF document that will explain some of what the PCM is thinking...

i wish this was easy...  the first day i sat in GM training class and they opened the hood and showed the onboard computer.. i was STUNNED... and that was probably 1981..

i don't know why i would be stunned.. i had worked on EFI caddy sevilles for several years.. but those were actually analog computers..  without trouble codes..

wayne petty

denny... what are you working on..

i might have a manual for it..

or even better.. and that goes for any RRT member...

in good standing.. or even sitting...

most scan tools can take a snap shot of data stream...

take one at idle.. warmed up ..

and one at either cruise speed around 45 or 50 MPH..

or at a steady 2500 rpm...

post all the lines of data it records... + year.. make .. model engine and transmission..

i need to see as many lines as possible.. i can usually decipher it and point you to areas to check or adjust.

this is not easy.. but like i have said.. i have been doing this engine control diagnostics for over 30 years now..

i was able to look at the live data from a forum members TPI and get it fixed over the net..  but he gave me a big list of data..

i usually ask for the chart above to be printed out.. and the member to start at the top line and write the actual cars data stream numbers down on the page and then post them.. sort of a manual recording...

and because the chart has what is expected...  it is sometimes self evident..

rooster

Not really working on anything!  Just trying to learn the basic's

I can connect and get live data, and enhanced data. I can load only certain PID's to make things run faster. I can record live data.

Having problems with "frames per second", getting graphs to look right.  And then there's what doe's all this data mean and how to apply it to a fix!

The best info I've found was  guy on utube, he use's snap-on's high end scan tool and scope most of the time, but sometimes he use's a voltmeter or laptop software! (scannerdanner is his utube name) I'm about to get his book!

I don't even own a OBD2 car yet! Not so sure if I want one!!!!