Welding and brake cleaner issues

Started by sirstude, May 01, 2013, 08:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirstude

One of my buddies in Canada sent this out to all of us in the hobby that he knows.  Pretty scarry article and a good read for all.

Doug

http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

1800guy

Thanks for bringing this up so vividly.  It's something I "sort of" knew about, but I really had not given it a lot of thought.  Amazing how quickly you can screw up your life with something simple.
My project is 90% finished, with only 90% to go.

39deluxe

Scary stuff. Most of us don't think a thing about burning off a small amount of some common garage chemical. I will now.

Tom

wayne petty

i ran across a brand of break cleaner spray..   just in normal use.. made me sick for almost a week...

it was a private label packed brand..

i called the company on the label... complained.. they changed the material in the can soon afterwards..

Rrumbler

I remember this subject from many years past, several times over.  The way I remember the chem stuff regarding this is: anything with the ingredient "-trichloro------- anything" is dangerous just on the face of it, and it can do you in under the right situation; heating it should be considered extremely dangerous.  In the auto/truck world, brake cleaners, carb cleaners, and general degreasers should be treated as if they have this ingredient, even if it is not on the label.  I was told by an Internist specializing in Industrial Medicine that a lot of my nerve problems can probably be blamed on constant exposure to "trichloro---" compounds - we used quite a few different ones in my work.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

Mikej

Phosgene gas was used in WWI. If you burn some refrigerants ( R-12 ) it makes phogene gas. They may have used refrigerant as the perpellent in the arosol can. Do you remember when you used flame to detect leaks on a/c's? The flame turned green. Don't breath it. Weld a/c line in a closed space. Also a bad idea. Effects you nervous system. 3rd world countries can still use R-12. Its cheap and it helps them raise their standard of living.

wayne petty

i wonder how hot it has to be ...

as i have seen techs spray it on hot calipers and rotors... so they could touch them..

Crosley.In.AZ

I use a brake cleaner on parts that will be welded to remove oils and other debris.

They are blown off with compressed air
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)