Anyone have a motor run with the distributor 180 drgrees out

Started by junkyardjeff, April 22, 2013, 09:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

My neighbor ended up with his brothers 78 ford truck and whoever towed it to his house had it almost in my yard so I hot wired it and got it moved,it ran but not that great but when I tried to fire it up again it was backfiring out the carb and exhaust so I figured it jumped time.   It sat beside his garage for about 4 years and got tired of looking at it so he gave it to me and since it has a 70 to 72 351-C 2 bbl I wanted to get it running as I might have use for it,pulled the timing chain cover tonight and someone had the distributor 180 out so put it back in right and had it running with the timing chain cover off.  In all the years I have been working on cars I never had a motor even come close to running with the distributor 180 out,the chain is very sloppy and will get a new set but this motor suprised me by running one with the distributor way off.

wayne petty

i have had that model engine seize the engine oil pump and strip the gear teeth off the distributer drive gear ..

this was on 2 different 351C 2v motors..

for some reason.. the upper oil pump shaft is only lubed by oil draining down the hex shaft from the cam/distributer gear..   acts like a bad timing chain..

first was on a 72 LTD wagon 351C 2 bbl

second was on a 71 ranchero 351C 2 bbl.

its fairly simple to drop the sway bar... undo the motor mount to engine bolts.. jack the engine up.. and slip the oil pan out..  after you drop the pump into the pan...  

hard is to get the pump back up inside the new pan and the drive shaft in the proper location...

junkyardjeff

Distributor gear was good and I am suprised the motor was not stuck as I tried starting it with starting fluid 4 years ago and then it just sat,someone has been into it before as it had rtv for a gasket on the cover and had a steel cam gear but the chain was very sloppy.