Salt protection at Bonneville

Started by Ohio Blue Tip, June 23, 2013, 10:31:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio Blue Tip

It's been a few years since going to Bonneville.  What do you use to help protect wheels from the salt?
WD-40 ?   Any other areas to protect ?
Thanks, Ken
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

sirstude

search "salt away" on the landracing board.  That was what Bob K told me to use when I was going to bring my Impala down.  There are more choices now disussed there.  

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

HotRodLadyCrusr

I also use Salt-A-Way to protect Big Olds when taking him on the salt.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Pete

Mud Off works fairly well.
It's the stuff the sprint car guys use.
Easy to use, just spray on.
Doesn't hurt paint or plating. Spray the whole car.
Hoses off.

purplepickup

I used Salt-X on a motorized bicycle pitbike and was amazed that no rust showed up anywhere except the chain and I didn't spray that.  The bike is just a cheap Walmart bike and normally anything chrome rusts just by looking at it so I was impressed.  I think it's the same as Salt Away.  http://www.saltx.com/

If you're taking your brand new SUV I'd mix up a batch in a pump-up sprayer and spray everything you can underneath.  If it ain't protected it will rust.  

George

Ohio Blue Tip

Hey ! Nice car in the picture.  Used to have one just like that.  :lol:
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

WZ JUNK

After our return from Bonneville last year I decided to do a little test.  I used these lag screws to hold down our easy up to the salt by screwing them into the salt with my cordless drill.  The one on the left was not cleaned.  The one in the middle was rinsed with water and the one on the right was flushed with a product called Salt X.  You can see the rust on the untreated one.  The middle one is chalky but only a couple of spots of minor rust.  The Salt X treated screw is shinny but does have a couple of small rust spots.  My conclusion is that flush with water does a pretty good job by itself but the Salt X is better.

I drove my wife's mini van to the salt.  I treated the bottom of it thoroughly before the trip and again when I got home.  I have not noticed any rust but I need to get under it and look a little closer.  Salt X is available online.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH