Best patch panels

Started by Topsterguy, February 24, 2013, 12:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

Hey Folks!  I just picked up a nice 37 Ford slantback tudor project. Overall the body is really good, but needs patch panels in the lower body both sides between the doors and the rear fenders and the panel below the trunk between the fenders. I've seen a few companies that make these but which are the best panels for quality and fit? Also going to need the front floor pan up to the firewall.  Thanks as always!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Uncle Bob

Can't speak to the '37 specifically, but have had mostly good results from EMS.  I used several pieces for the '36 roadster from them.  The rear body bottom piece fit very well.  The quarter and cowl patches were very useable.  The lower front pieces for the rear fender (where it attaches to the running board), were completely useless.  Turned out to be less time to shape new ones from flat stock than to try to rework theirs.  Still, all things considered, their batting average is pretty good.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Harry

I bought EMS for my '51 Ford. The trunk panels were very good. The front floor panels fit like they were for some other brand.
Look in to Paul? Bradley's stuff.

Harry

Bob Drake or Dennis Carpenter?
Carpenter has that 1940 body, so he may have other body parts.

I am building my 6th 37 Sedan......the EMS panels are the best bang for the buck in my opinion....Don't expect them,or any other replacement panels for that matter, to fit perfectly....but I'm sure you already know that.I have also built a couple of 37 Coupes over the years so I have lots of extra 37 parts in the shop.....Let me know,I may be able to help with something you're missing.....I have a complete set of new Wescott fiberglass fenders,several Grills,steel fenders,misc interior pieces etc. I have 2 new EMS replacement panels for below the trunk but I believe they are both for a coupe.Good luck with your project....I am just finishing up the last minute details on mine before it goes to the upholsterer.....I'll post some photos when I get a chance to shoot a couple.Post a photo or two of the new project when you get a chance.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

crdnblu

I second EMS.  Just make sure that you spec out the proper rear panel for either the slant back, or humpback.  Their tool tray, & connecting rear panel brackets are worth looking into, as well.

Topsterguy

Thanks Folks!  I wound up ordering what I need from EMS. 40, I'd like to see yours!  ( deuceguy@shaw.ca)  The only things I really need are the running boards, but no big rush on them.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

I'll post a couple photos before it goes to the upholsterer if I can get my antique camera to work.I do have a pair of running boards that I stripped the old covers off from and I possibly have another pair with nice rubber.I know I have a brand new pair complete with new covers but I believe that pair fits a 36.Let me know when you get farther along.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Topsterguy

Quote from: "Uncle Bob"Can't speak to the '37 specifically, but have had mostly good results from EMS.  I used several pieces for the '36 roadster from them.  The rear body bottom piece fit very well.  The quarter and cowl patches were very useable.  The lower front pieces for the rear fender (where it attaches to the running board), were completely useless.  Turned out to be less time to shape new ones from flat stock than to try to rework theirs.  Still, all things considered, their batting average is pretty good.

I think the key word here is "useable". I used the piece below the trunk as well as the tool box part and they were good. The quarters were about 5/8" too long so had to be cut up quite a bit at the fenders, and if we matched the indents in the door jams  for the rubber snubbers with the existing ones they were about 5/8" too short at the bottom so we scrapped those parts. The lower cowls were terrible and we had to use the existing door pillars and the whole existing area where the hood comes down to the fenders. The front and rear floors were pretty much a guess as to where they went. Overall it's a good thing I've got a really good body guy!

Topsterguy

By the way, does anyone know the name of the owner / manager of EMS?

57larry

I've used EMS & Drake. none are prefect but they are workable

Topsterguy

Quote from: "Topsterguy"
Quote from: "Uncle Bob"Can't speak to the '37 specifically, but have had mostly good results from EMS.  I used several pieces for the '36 roadster from them.  The rear body bottom piece fit very well.  The quarter and cowl patches were very useable.  The lower front pieces for the rear fender (where it attaches to the running board), were completely useless.  Turned out to be less time to shape new ones from flat stock than to try to rework theirs.  Still, all things considered, their batting average is pretty good.

I think the key word here is "useable". I used the piece below the trunk as well as the tool box part and they were good. The quarters were about 5/8" too long so had to be cut up quite a bit at the fenders, and if we matched the indents in the door jams  for the rubber snubbers with the existing ones they were about 5/8" too short at the bottom so we scrapped those parts. The lower cowls were terrible and we had to use the existing door pillars and the whole existing area where the hood comes down to the fenders. The front and rear floors were pretty much a guess as to where they went. Overall it's a good thing I've got a really good body guy!

The bottom line of my "experience " with EMS - I would not deal with them again for any reason. The panels I got from them needed a lot of modifying etc, their "customer service rep" is one of the most arrogant, self rightous , rude "people" I've dealt with, and they screwed up on my shipping adress that costed me $57 and after I spent about $2000 with them refused to refund the $57 I had to pay because of THEIR mistake.