When did the Ford FMX style trans loose the rear pump

Started by junkyardjeff, April 06, 2013, 10:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junkyardjeff

Since my 1955 sunliner is going back to a Y block and want to retain the original style starter I will have to use the later cast iron automatic trans,I first picked up a 67 FM-MX trans but I wanted the longer tailshaft that was on the later FMX trans so I picked up one from a 71 LTD at a swapmeet today. I knew the 67 had a rear pump but I looked in my 71 shop manual and the 71 trans does not,I wanted to have a trans with a rear pump so it would be able to be push started but need the longer tailshaft since the 55 has a X frame and getting to the front u joint to grease it is a pain so it does not look like I can make the two trans into one.  Anybody know when the Ford cast iron automatic trans lost the rear pump.

Crosley.In.AZ

best of my knowledge the FMX never had a rear pump.  Rear pump was in the Cast Iron cruise-O trans.  

When Ford introduced the FMX trans, the rear pump was gone... I may be wrong

If the FMX had a rear pump , it may have only been the first year or so :  1968 & 69
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

TEAM SMART

junkyardjeff

The 71 FMX case has a a C9 casting number so it was designed in 69,I will look at some 68s that are in a local junkyard and see what they are.

UGLY OLDS

The "FMX" never had a rear pump .. The "Cast Iron Ford-o-matic" had a rear pump until approx 1959ish.... The way I was taught to spot FMX's back in the day , ( I blew up a BUNCH of them), was to look for the "2 dot drive" position on the gear selector  .. When in the white dot the trans would start in second & shift to third .. When in the "Green Dot" the trans would start in first , shift to second & then to third ... In 1966 they changed the valve body to the "1-2-D"  that we all know & love ...

The "Ford-a-matic" ( same basic trans with a rear pump & weaker parts ) ,only had a "Drive" position ..These would start in second all the time ... The only way to get first gear was to put the selector in "Low" ... BUT... If you started out in Low & wound the engine out , moved the selector to "Drive" & immediately back to Low , you could get a 1-2 shift & hold second gear as long as you wanted ...( Or dared) ... :twisted:

Do not confuse these transmissions with the aluminum "Ford-a-matic" in the late 50's --early 60's...These were a 2-speed POS unique to themselves ...  :roll:

There was also a "Large Case " Cruise-o-matic that was unique to Lincolns &  T-Birds & Big Mercurys ... I think they were only used behind the "MEL" ( 383/430 cu.in) engines & supposedly 2 or 3 '64 Thunderbolts ....

Did you know a well prepared FMX will last exactly 3 runs behind a "Well prepared" 406 with tri-power ???  

Don't ask me how I know that ....... It WAS embarrassing ...:oops:

Bob.......... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

junkyardjeff

Since I want to use the original type starter it requires me to use the cast iron trans,I am going to use the original air cooled FOM bellhousing and will give it the look of the original trans but will like a shift normal trans unlike the original FOM that started out in second. Its not going to be a race car so it should do me just fine,with the C-4 that is in it now I have to remove the drive shaft to grease the front U joint since the frame has a heavy X member since its a convertible so no AOD or C-4. The original starter is a must since I want it to sound like it has a Y block in it instead of a late model motor so I have to go this route.