paypal

Started by enjenjo, March 07, 2013, 09:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Do you use it? Any problems? Does it influence where you buy?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

teal32

I use it alot. I like to put my purchases on my AMEX card because I get a rebate. Since many companies don't take AMEX, but will take PayPal, it's a win-win for me. Never had any problems.
Your drug test came back positive...Welcome aboard!

Don\'t get to close....I\'m alergic to stupid

phat rat

I've been using it for quite a while. I use it to both buy and sell. I use an Ebay credit card on mine for buying. For selling I have a credit union account that I use only for Paypal and as soon as the money is in Paypal I transfer it to the c.u. account. As soon as it's in that account I transfer it to my regular c.u. account. I NEVER keep money in Paypal nor in the c.u. Paypal account. I have heard stories of accounts being frozen but not from anyone I know personally. I do all the transfering to prevent having funds frozen
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

58 Yeoman

I use it for most of my ebay sales/buys, and haven't had any problems.  I also do it more or less like Phat Rat.  There is also a way to use paypal for postage that isn't involved with ebay sales or buys.  You can use it to pay and print labels for the post office, which is nice, because usps doesn't allow you to print labels for first class or media at home, but paypal does.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Carnut

I use Paypal just about 3 or 4 times a day. I have a paypal credit/debit card.

I do have some magazine sales on my site that I have setup to process payments thru paypal.

I've been using paypal pretty much since the beginning.

The only problem I have with paypal is knowing that Elon Musk made his fortune from it, so in a way I'm kinda responsible for helping out in the creation of Tesla Motors.

But on the other hand I think he is doing great with SpaceX projects.

UGLY OLDS

I use it for E-Bay &  other purchases .. Pay the transaction with a C/C .. ( Add a couple $$ if buying from a buddy  for P/P  C/C fees ) ...

So far ...So Good .. Only been burnt once a long time ago ... E-Bay purchase was not as advertised .. I won the E-Bay claim ..The seller had cleaned out most of the account so only 40% of my purchase was refunded .. The seller was up & running with a different account 3 days later ..I proved it to both E-Bay & P/P ... They did nothing .....
( That claim is STILL open in P/P 7 years later in case the seller "opens another account "..DUH ...)

Bob ...... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

I've used PayPal for many years.  No big  problems.  I do not have a debit card or other card for the PayPal account.

As i recall places I buy from are Speedway , Summit and others that take PayPal.

I use PayPal  on eBay too.

problem I had with PayPal was years ago on a eBay item i sold. PayPal had problems with the buyer's account and I received 2 deposits of the same amount of $$.

i called PayPal. After explaining it sloooowly for 3 - 4 times, the low watt bulb at PayPal finally let me speak to a "manager" and suddenly PayPal understood they paid me twice
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

I agree with Phat Rat. In case you didn't know, you can only send 10 grand as a "unverified " user. To be verified you have to have an attachable account. When I started using ebay years ago, the problems were quite common with Paypal. I don't believe that everyone with difficulties was innocent but I wasn't going to risk that with my regular accounts.
TEAM SMART

39deluxe

I have had a verified Pay Pal account for years. Never any problem.

Rrumbler

have had an account for years, hardly ever use it, never any problems.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

Uncle Bob

Another user who hasn't had all the problems that a lot of folks claim they've had.  But as others here have noted you need to cover your *.

In addition to ebay, i use it for sales on other sites; e.g. HAMB classified.  Some folks don't like the 3 or so percent fee, but that's consistent with small transaction credit card processing fees, so just price accordingly.

To put a finer point on the above suggestions for a stand alone account attached to the paypal account, when you click the box "Agree to terms....." (which I'd bet nearly no one reads all the way) you agree to allow Paypal to reach into your account and take money when they deem it necessary.  I've not seen any credible evidence, or had experience, that they do it randomly, just when there's a dispute between buyer and seller.  If you move the money out promptly they've got nothing to grab.  If this seems like a double clutch to you, imagine a dishonest buyer who you ship a perfectly legit something to, but they dispute it anyway attempting to get it for "free".  Ebay/Paypal will only arbitrate as far as they can, and if both parties appear "honest" then they call it a toss up, and will most often attempt to "protect" the buyer.......honest party loses.  Doesn't happen very often so those who choose to play don't get burned often enough to have poisoned the well.  But if you clear the account you maintain a margin of control.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Crosley.In.AZ

i was thinkin about the enjenjo question last nite...  Years ago when PayPal was young, as I recall PayPal offices & legal location was off shore of the USA.

There were many complaints on & about PayPal , but they did not have to obey all of the money laws in the USA since they were located outside the USA.  They had to obey certains law of course to do business in the USA, even online business only.

PayPal was diffcult to contact, no local USA address to access them

eBay bought PayPal and it was brought under the USA umbrella of the eBay corporation some years ago.

I believe some legal challenges were brought against Paypal before eBay bought them and some federal agency took a close ''look'' at the operation because of consumer complaints.

I do believe PayPal straightened up their operation.

On the flip side : as mentioned here. I have an account tied to PayPal. It is my retired business account when I was self employed. The account is still active under my personal name now.  I do move money around, so IF PayPal decides to tie up my funds over some complaint, there is little cash to tie up.

:shock:

the percentage of $ on each transaction is a norm, but I think it is a bit high at the 3% level and the .30 cent for each transaction.

You can "gift" a certain level of cash to a person each month without fees... I have done that when my son and his family had tire problems on a road trip to AZ.  My son has a debit card with PayPal, no credit card.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Topsterguy

Some guys like it , I wouldn't use it again. If you search "problems using paypal" you'll come up with a lot of them.  A favorite scam of buyers is to pay for an item using their mastercard through paypal, the money goes to your account and you ship it. Then after a few weeks the buyer calls their card company and says they never got the item so the card company credits you and charges back to paypal who in turn charges it back to you, and you're out.  There's more scams possible as well.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

unklian

Never had a problem.

phat rat

Quote from: "Topsterguy"Some guys like it , I wouldn't use it again. If you search "problems using paypal" you'll come up with a lot of them.  A favorite scam of buyers is to pay for an item using their mastercard through paypal, the money goes to your account and you ship it. Then after a few weeks the buyer calls their card company and says they never got the item so the card company credits you and charges back to paypal who in turn charges it back to you, and you're out.  There's more scams possible as well.

Another reason I ALWAYS send a package insured.That way there's proof that it was delivered
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.