Trans interchange

Started by Harry, April 12, 2013, 05:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

I have a '94 Caprice wagon, LT1 and 4L60E trans. The trans is shot. What other trans will fit? These trans are not for just this year only, are they?
Thank you for any help.

Warpspeed

Quote from: "Harry"I have a '94 Caprice wagon, LT1 and 4L60E trans. The trans is shot. What other trans will fit? These trans are not for just this year only, are they?
Thank you for any help.
Harry, the 4L60E has been used over a great many years on a very wide range of different models and applications, and is a very common transmission.

But you need to be careful....
There are some significant differences that can cause you grief.
I am no expert, but these are some of the differences between various 4L60E transmissions that I know about.

There are two different output shaft lengths, all two wheel drive transmissions have an output shaft that is about three inches longer than all the four wheel drive transmissions.

The newer 4L60E has a six bolt pattern on the back, older 4L60E has a four bolt pattern on the back.
There were quite a few different rear extension housings made with very different gearbox mounting locations and other odd features.
Provided it has the long output shaft, and the right rear bolt pattern, you can very easily swap over your existing rear housing to solve that problem.

At the front there have been two types of bell housings. The later ones are a full 360 degrees, and earlier ones have a removable cover plate on the bottom.  They look quite different, but as far as I know either will work in any application.
The removable cover is a good feature, much better for access to the torque converter bolts, but the later 360 degree cover is stronger.

You should be able to find something fairly easily at a friendly price if you know what features to look for.

Crosley.In.AZ

I will give you a shorter answer.  :lol:

You need a 1993 or 1994 2WD  trans for the vehicle.

In 1995 GM went to a PWM lock up strategy. 1995 & 96 are same = interchange with 95 & 96

There is a method to bypass the PWM system in the 95 & 96 units to install into a 93 & 94 application.  You need to know what to change
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

wayne petty

Quote from: "Harry"I have a '94 Caprice wagon, LT1 and 4L60E trans. The trans is shot. What other trans will fit? These trans are not for just this year only, are they?
Thank you for any help.

harry....

what is exactly the transmission NOT doing before replacing it..

slipping..

NOT SHIFTING ...

won't move forward or reverse...

please find an OBD1 scan tool.. or jump the A and B terminal under the dash board and see if you can get any trouble codes..

there are probably other pins to jump for transmission codes...

did the transmission get serviced regularly..

when it was.. did the sealing rings get pulled out of the opening up inside the transmission.. when more than one gets in there..  the filter neck can break allowing air to be pulled into the pump. instead of fluid being pulled up only..

clogged filters will also destroy them..

it is totally possible that the transmission is JUNK.. its also possible that there is a different issue that will prevent it from shifting..

there is also a series of letters and numbers stamped into the transmission just above the oil pan gasket..

these are just ideas...

Crosley.In.AZ

Gee ,  Wayne.

He said the trans was shot.  Must a hole in it.

:shock:  :shock:
Tony

wayne petty

i agree... but i have seen people go thru this way too many times..

saying it quit shifting. so it must be shot..  lets replace it..

wait.. the replacement must be bad also as it does not shift...

lets replace it again with another used on... nope.. that one does not work...

lets drop 2 grand on a rebuilt... nope... still not working..

when the problem is either with the computer system.. or the electrical system...

i did not mean to step on anybodies toes... and i hope forum members will forgive me..

so lets fix the defroster circuit so pushing the YUGO is not as painful pushing that wagon with his hands stuck firm to the back window..:roll:

Crosley.In.AZ

wayne...  I made a joke.  A poor joke , but a joke.

With this particlular transmittin , a blown fuse will cause failure.  A piece of tin foil will fix it.

Does the speedometer work?  No speed input, the vehicle ECM does not know the vehicle is moving, which equals no shifts

If the vehicle does not move at all ... why?  No fluid? Low fluid?  Clogged filter?  Why os filter Clogged?

What is mileage?  Some folks think a 200k miles trans should work fine or only need minor repair..  LOL ! !  Sometimes that is true, not often
Tony

Harry

The trans would take longer than normal to get out of low gear. Then it seemed to go to 3rd then drop down to 2nd. I took it to my friendly mechanic, he dropped the pan and opened the filter. He said there was quite a bit of metal in there.
The wagon has over 300,000 kilometres, 180,000 miles, on it. It has served me well. We found a trans for $625. It comes with a 3 month warranty. I'll make sure the mechanic checks to make sure it is correct. I'll give hime all the specs you have provided.
Thank you all for the help.

57larry

boy, a turbo 350 is a piece of cake