rear axle gear ratio??

Started by vso737, February 17, 2013, 01:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vso737

Hi,

Does anyone know what the gear ratio is on a 1991 Chevy S10 Pick-up, Model # S10803.  I believe the vehicle had a 5 speed.

From what I gather it is either a 3:42 or 3:73............Does anyone know for sure.

Thanks,
Mike

:wink:
"you\'re killing me Larry!"

Arnold

Quote from: "vso737"Hi,

Does anyone know what the gear ratio is on a 1991 Chevy S10 Pick-up, Model # S10803.  I believe the vehicle had a 5 speed.

From what I gather it is either a 3:42 or 3:73............Does anyone know for sure.

Thanks,
Mike

2.56-4.11 depending.. on the option code. I don't know about that # 803? Maybe someone else can. If you have the vin there is a site that can nail it down.

vso737

Quote from: "Arnold"

Thanks,
Mike

2.56-4.11 depending.. on the option code. I don't know about that # 803? Maybe someone else can. If you have the vin there is a site that can nail it

This is the VIN# 1GCCS14R8M8300215

IT IS A 1991 S10 PICK-UP MODEL# S10803

Thanks a bunch,
Mike

down.

Arnold

Quote from: "vso737"
Quote from: "Arnold"

Thanks,
Mike

2.56-4.11 depending.. on the option code. I don't know about that # 803? Maybe someone else can. If you have the vin there is a site that can nail it

This is the VIN# 1GCCS14R8M8300215

IT IS A 1991 S10 PICK-UP MODEL# S10803

Thanks a bunch,
Mike

down.

I've just used those vin decoders online. There are LOTS! of them.Some better..faster than others. I don't have a favourite. I usually just Google what I am looking for..often get pointed right there Option code decoders work too.Hollanders and car-part.com has info too.
Quick option decode= GU2 is 2.73,GU4-3.08,GU6-3.42,GT4-3.73.HO4-4.11
(I didn't do a vin decode..just a rear axle option code)
Hope this helps.

vso737

That's the problem.......I do NOT have the code from the glove-box.  The only info I have is what I posted.
I'll try again with the VIN#..........worse scenario is turning the wheel and counting rotation on the drive-shaft.
It would be nice if the VIN# could give me the information though.

Thanks again,
Mike

GPster

Quote from: "vso737"That's the problem.......I do NOT have the code from the glove-box.  The only info I have is what I posted.
I'll try again with the VIN#..........worse scenario is turning the wheel and counting rotation on the drive-shaft.It would be nice if the VIN# could give me the information though.Thanks again,Mike
Or you could invest in a new gasket and pull the back cover. If it's like my '87 there's numbers stamped into the perimeter of the ring gear Like 46:13 that devided into one another will give you the ratio (3:54 to 1). It also would give you a chance to check the differential for wear and water in the grease/oil. GPster

Arnold

Quote from: "vso737"That's the problem.......I do NOT have the code from the glove-box.  The only info I have is what I posted.
I'll try again with the VIN#..........worse scenario is turning the wheel and counting rotation on the drive-shaft.
It would be nice if the VIN# could give me the information though.

Thanks again,
Mike

About the vin..SOME sites can pull up stuff that is GREAT!(including rear axle ratios). Other sites are not really any good. SORRY..I don't know/don't use/haven't used them much. When I have used them..
I have just started off by Googling ALL the info that I wanted..and then just went to site..or quite a few..that came to me in the search and went from there. I have pulled rear axle ratios(and fwd's too) although to be honest..I have not checked to see that they were accurate. Rear axle ratios can be changed by stuff like "trailer tow package". I am  not so sure
that the ratio would show up in a search in that case. I did my Police' Burb online
and showed a lot of option codes..that I could not find..and have no idea what they are. Sometimes by going to Car-part.com if you do a round about search on enough things about a vehicle..you can get a wealth of info..that will give you info that you just CANNOT GET! anywhere else.
  There is a site Compnine..pay site..iirc you can get a free day.I have never used it. It comes up in  searches looking for rear axle raios.

enjenjo

There should be a stamped  number on the right axle tube.It will start with a three digit combination and a space. Should be something like GU2 or UBX.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

vso737

Quote from: "enjenjo"There should be a stamped  number on the right axle tube.It will start with a three digit combination and a space. Should be something like GU2 or UBX.

I will be under the car installing the newly shortened drive-shaft soon.  Will be looking for the code then.

Thanks a bunch,

Mike

vso737

Quote from: "vso737"
Quote from: "enjenjo"There should be a stamped  number on the right axle tube.It will start with a three digit combination and a space. Should be something like GU2 or UBX.

I will be under the car installing the newly shortened drive-shaft soon.  Will be looking for the code then.

Thanks a bunch,

Mike

FYI-

The CODE on my axle is GAK K095 3.............

The CODE "GAK" designates a 3.73 gear ratio

For some unknown reason, the Chevrolet dealer was unable to read the gear ratio using the VIN #.

Thanks for all the input,
Mike

enjenjo

Glad to help. Fords use a similar code, usually on a tag on one of the carrier bolts, or rear cover bolts, but some of the later models just have a paper tag glued to one axle tube.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.