Model A Coupe Progress

Started by Canuck, June 20, 2012, 11:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canuck

Well guys, over the years have received lots of great help from the members here. Have posted a few progress shots of the build, but thought I would try something new for me, a Blog. So I am wide open for a critique on either the build to date or the blog. The blog seems to make it easier to put together a write up and keeps the load on this site down. If you don't like the concept please let me know.

The blog is at: http://a425coupe.shawwebspace.ca/blog/

Canuck
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

tom36

Very nice- both the blog and the build!  Some nice fabrication going on. Tom...

Charlie Chops 1940

Lots of very nice work.

Your trunk support remake made me chuckle. I've remade every aftermarket Model A and '32 trunk support I ever bought...I don't think there is a correct size replacement out there. Did one for a 30/31 coupe this past winter.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Digger

Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

Uncle Bob

Nice blog.  And sound advice from your dad.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Carnut

Really cool build. Lots of neat ideas and fabrications.

vso737

Quote from: "Canuck"Well guys, over the years have received lots of great help from the members here. Have posted a few progress shots of the build, but thought I would try something new for me, a Blog. So I am wide open for a critique on either the build to date or the blog. The blog seems to make it easier to put together a write up and keeps the load on this site down. If you don't like the concept please let me know.

The blog is at: http://a425coupe.shawwebspace.ca/blog/

Canuck

Hi Canuck,

Greetings from a "CHE" ................

I want to thank you for sharing your magnificent project.  I have been working on my '30 Model A Sport Coupe since Oct. 2008 and I can tell you that I really appreciate the work you are doing.

You know that the BEST compliment you can pay someone is copying their work.
I will most likely incorporate some of the things you have done.

I too "dance to the beat of a different drummer" and have done things in my build that are not common.

If interested, you can follow my build at: http://myks30.webs.com

Thanks again for a GREAT project- can't wait to see the rest.

LG,
Mike
"you\'re killing me Larry!"

Canuck

Thanks Mike, nice to see someone else doing it themselves.  That firewall must have been fun to layout, I think I will pass on those fancy touches.

What is a "CHE" ??

I know that I am always open to suggestions, so I hope you don't mind.  A bit of a concern that the sections of hard line between the front frame and wheel cylinders could be prone to a lot of vibration when driving.  Might be better to replace it with flex hose all the way.

Hope you don't mind the comment.

Canuck
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017

vso737

Hi CANUCK,

A "CHE" is the equivalent of a Canuck ..................the name given to someone from ARGENTINA.
Hence, Ernesto "che" Guevara.......the "che" signifies he's from Argentina.

NO, I welcome any and all suggestions on my build.  I may NOT always abide by them but more than willing to pay attention.

As far as your suggestion, it was NOT my first choice to do it this way.  If I recall, I had a real difficult time adapting the different thread set-up.  I will revisit that area of the build.  I also have the support that the original wheel came with for the brake line.  I may install those to support it better.  Your suggestion is a VERY GOOD one.

My frame is extended approx. 5 ½" so I will have to make a new hood and extend the splash aprons and running boards.

YES......my ride is very unique and I try to do things to make it my way.
I already did a HIGH END build when I restored my 1957 Corvette to "NCRS" specifications- took TOP FLIGHT first time up and enjoyed the experience.  One time is enough and I will NEVER revisit that scene...............

One last reminder, if you visit my website, make sure you view each of the albums in SLIDESHOW and in FULL SCREEN to get the MUSIC.  Of course it starts out with one of my favorite TANGOS........national music of Argentina.

I'm 65 and soon to be 66 and learn something new everyday........we are never to old to learn.  My problem is that my head is ONLY full of trivia crap................LOL

Looking forward to more pictures of your build.  Keep up the GREAT work.

LG,
Mike
"you\'re killing me Larry!"

Mac

I really like this build. From parts sourceing to the fine handywork and it's meant to drive. I'm a fan of spray bedliner, too. That tach / horn button panel is just sweet. Can you clear up what "weld an edge around the edge" is? The nalhead is so much cooler that a 350. What's a few brackets relocated? Is the engine going to be that milky blue-green color? Are you mating the 700r4 to it?
All the hand fabing and in an A coupe to boot. That's straight up hotrodding right there. It doesn't get much better.

Also learned I want an Astro steering shaft for my Jag project.  );b(
Who\'s yer Data?

Canuck

Mac

clear up what "weld an edge around the edge" is?  

Once the front part of the bracket had the bead rolled around the edge, it was trimmed close to the bead.  A 1" strip of metal was then welded around the 4 sides.  The top piece forms a mounting area to the dash with a couple of bolts.  The other 3 sides partially shield the tach from view when you are sitting in the car.  The tach sender will be mounted above the fuse panel.  The tach and sender are 1963 NOS parts.  

What's a few brackets relocated?

Not sure what this is referring too.  The only brackets on the engine that were changed were the engine mounts and the alternator mount.  Just takes a big shoe horn to fit it into a Model A.

Is the engine going to be that milky blue-green color?

Engine will be painted the original Buick blue/green.  The only bling will be a pair of vintage Offenhauser breathers on the valve covers and some of the bolts replaced with stainless steel bolts with a smoothed and reshaped head then polished.  Should look like it was pulled out a 53 or 54 Buick.

Are you mating the 700r4 to it?

The 700r4 I had was put behind a SBC 406 I built, 10.5/1, World Heads, etc. and went into my 64 Chevelle Malibu.  Gives it a bit more dig off the line and nice long legs on the highway.  I think the Buick will be great with the original Switch Pitch 400, a version of GM's TH400 with a two stall speed torque convertor.

Canuck
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017

rumrumm

Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Mac

Quote from: "Canuck"

What's a few brackets relocated?

Not sure what this is referring too.  The only brackets on the engine that were changed were the engine mounts and the alternator mount.  Just takes a big shoe horn to fit it into a Model A.

I just meant that a few engine mount do overs was small price to pay for a cooler motor.

Is the engine going to be that milky blue-green color?

Engine will be painted the original Buick blue/green.  The only bling will be a pair of vintage Offenhauser breathers on the valve covers and some of the bolts replaced with stainless steel bolts with a smoothed and reshaped head then polished.  Should look like it was pulled out a 53 or 54 Buick.

That's what I was hoping to hear.  :D

Canuck
Who\'s yer Data?

UGLY OLDS

Looks good ...   8) I saw some things there that might find their way into my A sedan .....  :idea:

Thanks for the Blog ..  );b(  ....

Bob ....  :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****