Suspension 4 link bushings Shot!

Started by BFS57, January 26, 2013, 01:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
Well, most of the time I need answers about my 57 chevy. This time, it's my 32 Ford Victoria!
While out driving, with hard exceleration or braking, I hear this Banging sound. Do some investigative research and sure as heck, the bushings in the 4 link  rear and possibly front seem to be TOAST!
There is a "instruction" sheet from TCI with the paperwork that came with the car. They seem to be non responsive so, how and where do I go from here? I need to  be able to 1. identify what size(s) I need and 2. find where I can order some (possibly rubber) to replace them all, front and rear!!
I'm sure you guys have info for me, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bruce

34ford

call these guys they should be able to help

Pete & Jake's Hot Rod Parts :: 401 Legend Lane :: Peculiar, MO 64078
1-800-334-7240

wayne petty

just to remind everybody who reads this..

don't forget that suspension bushings need to ONLY be tightened with the suspension at RIDE HEIGHT...

so the suspension can move up and down without exceeding the amount of torsional rotation designed into the bushing.

if the bushings are installed and tightened with the suspension hanging.. when you get to ride height... it will already be in a bind... when you bottom out the suspension.. it can be twisted far enough to TEAR the bushing away from the inner sleeve..

this may or may NOT effect your 4 link bushings.. it all depends upon what design they are..

taxpyer

They have rubber bushed ends/inserts at www.ridetech.com I'm sure that in time all suppliers will offer these. Maybe someone on the forun can provide a link to a supplier that offers all sizes.

Good luck :wink:
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

348tripower

I was trying to deal with TCI on the frame we have under a 39 Ford  convert. After finally getting a tech on the phone I was told the best way to get a response was via email. Seems they are way to busy to answer the phone :roll:
Don Colliau

BFS57

Hello;
Basically, I need to know how to measure the ones I have so that I can find the right sized ones to replace them with. Part is I have to take one off to see what sized bolt holds it in place, then measure the end tube, or should I just bite the bullet and order some new ends with bearings (heim) and figure out how to "space" them in the center of the brackets I have on the car, or what? I really don't know just which way to go.

Bruce

enjenjo

Quote from: "BFS57"Hello;
Basically, I need to know how to measure the ones I have so that I can find the right sized ones to replace them with. Part is I have to take one off to see what sized bolt holds it in place, then measure the end tube, or should I just bite the bullet and order some new ends with bearings (heim) and figure out how to "space" them in the center of the brackets I have on the car, or what? I really don't know just which way to go.

Bruce

You could start with a picture.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Digger

Quote from: "BFS57"Hello;

Bruce
I don't think you would be happy with "heims" on the street. They transfer more noise and vibration.
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

enjenjo

Did you come up with some bushings? do your old ones look like this?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.