El Camino/Camaro ??

Started by Harry, April 22, 2013, 11:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

I have a 1987 El Camino. I saw a Camaro IROC-Z front piece for sale. That is from the front of the hood forward. The question is...will this bolt on easily to the El Camino. I have seen pictures of something called a Choo choo El Camino. It looks like an IROC.

unklian

Depends on your definition of "easy".

Bolt on, as the factory intended ?
No.

enjenjo

Choo Choo Customs built the  El Camino SS for several years in the 80s. The nose is actually a Monte SS nose. The Camaro nose does not fit as far as I know. Honest Charlie still makes the parts for the swap   http://www.honestcharley.com/late-model-muscle/el-camino-78-87/ss-nose-conversion.html  http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=51192
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

87 el camino SS front end...

when i worked at the caddy restoration shop... my boss bought a 87 SS elcamino...   it was stolen the second day he had it..   a customer also bought one.. parked in our driveway and rang the door bell to get me to let him in the gate... it too vanished before i could get the keys to the gate off the desk behind me...

the secretary saw them steal and followed it..   they drove to a street not to far from where we were in south central los angeles..  they stopped at the first house and some of the parts were removed... interior and tail gate. rear bumper.

pushed down the street and the front clip was removed..

another house they removed the doors...

the motor and transmission was next...

what was left was rolled to the next block where the wheels and tires were removed..  leaving it sitting on the street...

this took about 20 minutes as the secretary described..

there is a steel collar that clamps around the base of the steering column and padlocks on to reduce theft.. as they can just break the side of the column out and grab the switch rod..

the newest caddy SUVS were being stolen like crazy.. they were breaking the gear shift loose and dropping it in neutral... another car came up behind them and pushed the suv away..  where it would get stripped..
there is a video  of it... 10 seconds was all they had to be inside before the push car was moving the suv..