Need pieces to change a "Pile of Parts" into a veh

Started by GPster, January 14, 2013, 02:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

My middle Jeep hit me low. From the very begining I thought it had been assembled from "cast-offs" but I've managed to overcome them. Dropping the skid pan to work on the transmission gave me a chance to fix the transfer case shifter that the "body lift" had rendered un-workable. With that much now functioning I finally got the front locking hubs freed up only to discoverr the reason nothing functioned. When the later model      "wide track" front axle had been installed it must have been just for looks. It's got 3:54 front gears and they don't work with the 3:07 rear gears. I can't sell this thing with-out warning a prospective customer this problem. At this point I'd change either end to make it finctional and I don't even need to match the "Wide Track" mistique. Any one got some Jeep parts laying around? A Dana 30 front axle with 3:07 gears. Cloest match would be a '82 to '86 CJ7 but '76 to '86 CJ anything has possibilities. If I changed the other end an AMC 20 3:54 out of an '82 to '86 CJ7 would be the best match to the front end I already have  but again a rear from a CJ anything in that ratio would at least be workable. Any calls around here have only netted matched pairs that they don't want to split which also indicates that junk value for my vehicle would be low.  It doesn't weigh enough to sell by the pound. This all started with me thinking that a 2wd postal Jeep would be a simple vehicle. Appears that's all I got. GPster

taxpyer

Try www.kaiserwillys.com They have a forum  on their site for jeeps and parts. I deal there and they are very good. :wink: They cover the year of your jeep and then some.
What\'s that noise?,,, Never mind,, I\'ll check it later

GPster

I'll keep that site if I ever need to find something for the Jeepster. They don't seem to venture into the AMC (Rambler?) years though. If I had any confidence in my ability to work within tolerences I'd look for an AMC ring and pinion but I find assemblies are harder (not impossible) for me to break. GPster

Mac

Quote from: "GPster"This all started with me thinking that a 2wd postal Jeep would be a simple vehicle. Appears that's all I got. GPster

How about a `stang II or Gasser beam axle? Do you need the 4X4? Or just off it on Craig's list as "great for parts".
Who\'s yer Data?

enjenjo

I think you should just off it the way it is. I can't see any profit in changing it, though it might make it a bit easier to sell. In the mud it won't make much difference anyway.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Quote from: "enjenjo"I think you should just off it the way it is. I can't see any profit in changing it, though it might make it a bit easier to sell. In the mud it won't make much difference anyway.
That's the first explanation of why it may be the way it is. I know it was used in the mud. I've also been knowing that one of the rear "U" joints was bad (at the sliding yoke) and a check this morning showed that the front and rear yokes are the same. I'll just pull the front driveshaft and use it to fix the rear. I just put insurance on it for 6 more months and I need something to run my "GPSTER" license plate on anyway. Might sell better if I don't appear so anxious. GPster

GPster

Quote from: "Mac"How about a `stang II or Gasser beam axle? Do you need the 4X4? Or just off it on Craig's list as "great for parts".
For the rest of today I've got my mind aimed at Frank's suggestions. I didn't re-new the "For Sale" ad for this week but the new Bulletin Board comes out tomorrow. Maybe someone will have something to trade for it. Checking tread widths of Jeeps there's nothing much that's as narrow plus I don't need to spend any more money on it. If I found a "gutted Dana 30 I'd think about it but I'd better not "Tear It Down" in the driveway or I'll be sleeping in it. GPster