'70 Camaro trunk hinge pins?

Started by Beck, February 05, 2013, 08:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

I am in need of a pair of 2nd gen Camaro trunk hinge pins. I have hit a snag working on my '70 Camaro. I had to replace the panel that the trunk hinges are welded to. No problem they repop them. When I removed the hinges from the panel I realized that the hinge pins were non useable. They don't repop those. I have not taken my pins out yet. I gave one a few taps with a hammer and punch and it didn't move, but it has to be done. There are a lot of 2nd gen Camaros out there but I can't seem to find a parts car to rob these from. These should be the same from '70 to '81. Camaro and Firebirds should be the same.
Here is a link to a photo. This is not my car. The pins I need are laying on the top of the hinge in this photo.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w67/dale68z/71%20RS/71122009005.jpg

Anyone have access?

wayne petty

wow... sure looks like there are little tabs that bend over to hold it in place....

i wonder if you could get some of the clevis pins..

http://www.fastenal.com/web/search/product/fasteners/pins/clevis-pins/_/Navigation?searchterm=&sortby=webrank&sortdir=descending&searchmode=&refine=~%7Ccategoryl1:%22600000%20Fasteners%22%7C~%20~%7Ccategoryl2:%22600108%20Pins%22%7C~%20~%7Ccategoryl3:%22600109%20Clevis%20Pins%22%7C~%20~%7Cattrdiameter:790%7C~

that have a flanged head... a smooth shank and multiple holes drilled in the side for hair pins to work ...

that would make the trunk lid possibly easily removable..

do you have a shank diameter measurement  and a length between the hinge brackets so you would have room for a thrust washer and the hair pin to fit through..

one could also .. be very creative and create a shaft with mini bearings on it...  2 on each end for the trunk to open and close on..   there are a bunch of ways to do this..  with little shell retainers for the bearing race to fit in just far enough.. and still have a flange to prevent the bearing from falling through..

post some measurements.. i will do some research and drawings..  thickness of the hinge bracket material also..

the GM group number for the trunk hinge pins is 12.186

the hinge assemblies are part of #4

here is a link you might want to look at

http://www.gmpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=11784

http://www.gmpartswiki.com/getpage?pageid=11785

Beck

The pins need to be hollow. The hole in the centers is for the tortion rods that support the trunk to latch into. There is a flat on the end of the pin that indexes it in the hinge.That locates the hole in the correct position for the rod end. The tabs are to keep it from backing out. I see no need for the tabs. The pins are tight in the holes. Mine must have rust on them because they don't want to come out. I don't want to totaly destroy them until I have a replacement set.
There are currently 2 hinge sets with pins on flea-bay. The pins look fair at best. One seems to have been split like mine at the edge of the hole. Looking closely you can see it was pushed back in place. Another seems to be smaller in the center. The hole is down on this one so I expect it is in the same condition. I will pass on both sets of those.
There is a company making billet hinges with a nitrogen strut to support the trunk lid. I don't need billet and I don't want the cylinder hanging into the trunk. I also don't want to spend $400 for a set. A solid hinge pin would work with them.

wayne petty

what's the OD on the pin.... looks like 5/8...  could be 3/4"

got a lathe and a mill...  create your own...  out of some kind of steel tubing...

do the tabs fold out and hold the position along with the D shaped flange??

cut the tab end first... so its done...

chuck it up over a tight fitting mandrel and either spin it up to flair it or use a plumbing flairing tool..  then flatten the  end....

then its all about aligning the tabs with the mill and cutting the D shaped notch and the side notch...  you are now in the camaro hinge pin business...

man i wish i had a shop with a mill and a lathe...

one might have to experiment around first.. do the flair first.

Beck

I knocked the old hinge pins out. Thinnking I had nothing to loose I started welding them up. It worked much better than I anticipated. After grinding everything smooth and round inside and out, I reinstalled them. They are not the same as NOS, but they will last me many years. They look pretty good! That problem can be crossed off my list. Now on to the next.