Coinfessions from a Salt Virgin.

Started by sirstude, August 17, 2004, 05:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirstude

First off, a big thank you to Purplepickup and Faat Rod for getting me hooked up with a room in Wendover.  Also another big one to Enjenjo for bringing the trailer and doing the cooking.  I sure met a bunch of great guys there.  They had a term for a Salt Virgin but I cannot remember exactly what Bob called me.

Anyway, back to Bonneville.  First impressions, how can there be that much salt in the middle of nowhere?  Darn good thing that those orange cones grow out of the salt to show you the way.  The pits are HUGE, they run from the 3 mile marker to the 4 mile marker.  No one mentions that to you, so we parked at the lower end, and started walking the pits.  They are 4 rows deep also,  anyway we walk at lot, keep thinking we are reaching the end of the pits, but no, they still keep going on.  The bad thing is when we finally got to the end, where all the RRT/HAMB festivities are going on, the truck is at the other end of the pits, yea, a mile away.  

The pits!  You cannot believe the amount of creativity there.  Everything from a 53 or so Buick convert with a  jag 6 to a 31 Ford Roadster with a 1952 GMC dump truck motor (that is just how it is described in the program.  There was a A roadster (I think) with a Flathead V8 with EFI, until that is, you went to the other side and there was a Small Block Chevy.  These guys were running half a small block on fuel and bolted a flathead head on the unused side to seal it up.  The Chassis Engineering guys had a Cummins 6 Cyl diesel in their streamliner. Last year they went 227, on Saturday they went about 270, and it only smoked at the starting line.  LOTS more power left in that thing.  By The Way,  the Buick was not a racer but cruising town.  I could probably go on forever, but this will do for now.  This may have been my "first Rodeo" but it won't be my last.

One more thing, not only did we stop by "Hooleys" # 974 pits, and spend a fair amount of time there,  two friends from Montana were running roadsters there.  The "Stay in School" deuce roadster, #332 turbocharged 331 Hemi, and the Hot Rod Heaven Duece roadster #556, Injected 410 in Chevy.  We spend Sunday morning before we had to drive home in the pit lanes with these guys and got to watch them run from that end.  There is not a bad spot to watch from anywhere.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Dave

Ya Ya rub it in make us all feel bad. Dam I want to go some day.
Glad ya had fun.
Dave :roll:

Charlie Chops 1940

Nice report, Sir! Awe inspiring, ain't it. I really wanted to go again this year but just couldn't swing it. Next year should be the three-peat for me.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Leon

this was the best food on the salt!

Leon

This sharp Chevy was spotted running by the porta-potties with the keys locked inside

Dave

LOL :lol:

Quote from: "Leon"This sharp Chevy was spotted running by the porta-potties with the keys locked inside

Crosley.In.AZ

I had a hard time getting a good look at this car, tough to look at something traveling at 50mph all the time........... till they were working on the trunk latch in the motel parking lot.

Thankfully he did not lock himself in the car...... hello BlondeStar?

Quote from: "N8DC"LOL :lol:

Quote from: "Leon"This sharp Chevy was spotted running by the porta-potties with the keys locked inside
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

58 Yeoman

Probably had the a/c running, and didn't want someone to run off with his car. :lol:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil