I need help in putting the front end on my ol Ford

Started by Jimc, February 15, 2004, 08:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimc

As i have mentioned before, I am working? on a 1947 Ford coupe, which came to me unassembled.

It is my intention to put the front sheet metal on the body during the next few days.

I do not know how the fenders and inner fenders attach. this means a lot of trial and error work on my part. Nor, do I know how the fenders and grill tie together at the front.

I seem to recall reading where one or more of the members here are or have built one of the 46 to 47 cars.

Any help you could give me would be really appreciated. I am not sure what type of fasteners were used on this car, but am not concerned about being Correct.

I would be more concerned about length and size. I have even thought about using Stainless fastners in the final assy.

If any of you have visual aids, I would like to see them. I do have an email address for pictures that are too big to post here
It is jimc@joplin.com

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim
Life in the fast lane aint so great. Just ask the opossum

WZ JUNK

There is a real sharp 41 at Lost N the 50's.  If you are down this way, you could have a look at it.  I am trying to think of someone else who has one locally.   I have a friend at Anderson that drives a 47.  Call me for his phone number, he would be glad to help.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Jimc

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"There is a real sharp 41 at Lost N the 50's.  If you are down this way, you could have a look at it.  I am trying to think of someone else who has one locally.   I have a friend at Anderson that drives a 47.  Call me for his phone number, he would be glad to help.
John, I changed Computers and lost my emil list.
If you would care to, please send me an email and let me know when you are going to be in the shop.
If i take the time to go to Lost in The 50s. I might as well come by and say HI.

Jim

paul2748

It's a lot to describe all the items that go together to form the front clip. I don't remember the exact sequence when I first did it.   I suggest putting the triangle pieces on to the fender first.  Then assemble the inners panels on the  fenders.  You have three main items holding the front of the fenders together.  The radiator mount, the side panels to the radiator mount and the hood latch plate. The grille also adds support but I don't remember it being essential for assembly.

The actual mount to the frame at the front is the radiator support/mount.  It might be better to assemble the fenders, radiator mount, the radiator side panels and the hood latch plate and the grille together off the car and then lift the whole thing on the frame.    This will require "stretching" the fenders at the rear to clear the body when you put the whole unit on the frame but its no biggie.  Done this quite a few times on my 48 without screwing up the paint. One other problem with doing it this way is you have to lift the unit up a fair amount so the inner fender panels clear the wheels.  You also need three people if you do it this way.

If you have any specific questions email me or you can call me at 201-652-7027

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "Jimc"
Quote from: "WZ JUNK"There is a real sharp 41 at Lost N the 50's.  If you are down this way, you could have a look at it.  I am trying to think of someone else who has one locally.   I have a friend at Anderson that drives a 47.  Call me for his phone number, he would be glad to help.
If you would care to, please send me an email and let me know when you are going to be in the shop.
If i take the time to go to Lost in The 50s. I might as well come by and say HI.

Jim

Jim, I know that this is like comparing apples to oranges, but my 41 Pontiac fenders were riveted to the inner fenders. The rear of the fenders have about four bolts that I get to thru the kick panels inside the car. The rad support is one place where the fenders mount in the front, and the rad support also has sheet metal attached that helps mount the grill, etc. I've installed a Nova sub, so when I go to attach the fenders, I'll hang them by the rear bolts and build my brackets from there on the front forks. You might try that; attach the fenders at the rear, dig thru your pile of parts, and put it together until the parts are gone.  :lol:

Is that a Ford Ranger attached to your trailer? Looks just like mine (99).
Good luck.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Jimc

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"
Quote from: "Jimc"

Jim

Jim, I know that this is like comparing apples to oranges, but my 41 Pontiac fenders were riveted to the inner fenders. The rear of the fenders have about four bolts that I get to thru the kick panels inside the car. The rad support is one place where the fenders mount in the front, and the rad support also has sheet metal attached that helps mount the grill, etc. I've installed a Nova sub, so when I go to attach the fenders, I'll hang them by the rear bolts and build my brackets from there on the front forks. You might try that; attach the fenders at the rear, dig thru your pile of parts, and put it together until the parts are gone.  :lol:

Is that a Ford Ranger attached to your trailer? Looks just like mine (99).
Good luck.
It is a 95 Dakota, which i do not have any more.

Jimc

Quote from: "paul2748"It's a lot to describe all the items that go together to form the front clip. I don't remember the exact sequence when I first did it.   I suggest putting the triangle pieces on to the fender first.  Then assemble the inners panels on the  fenders.  You have three main items holding the front of the fenders together.  The radiator mount, the side panels to the radiator mount and the hood latch plate. The grille also adds support but I don't remember it being essential for assembly.

The actual mount to the frame at the front is the radiator support/mount.  It might be better to assemble the fenders, radiator mount, the radiator side panels and the hood latch plate and the grille together off the car and then lift the whole thing on the frame.    This will require "stretching" the fenders at the rear to clear the body when you put the whole unit on the frame but its no biggie.  Done this quite a few times on my 48 without screwing up the paint. One other problem with doing it this way is you have to lift the unit up a fair amount so the inner fender panels clear the wheels.  You also need three people if you do it this way.

If you have any specific questions email me or you can call me at 201-652-7027

Thanks, I appreciate your help. I will give that a try.

enjenjo

You should look for a Ford assembly manual on Ebay, it helps a lot. I try to buy a manual for each car I do.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Jimc

Quote from: "enjenjo"You should look for a Ford assembly manual on Ebay, it helps a lot. I try to buy a manual for each car I do.

Good tip.
I looked at the Catalog guys, but to no avail.
Thanks,
Jim

48ford

This is the way I do it,
First take the radiator support and bolt it to the cross member,dont tighten
Then get a million 1/4" bolts,bolt the inner fenders to the outer ones,get some help,bolt them in to body in back,then to front,with both fenders on slap on wind deflectors on each side of radiator,then put in grill,(get more bolts)then put in hood latch and air deflector,put air deflector on bottom then put in shims under radiator support to get it all aligned(ford used a spring in there)start tighting it all up,then put on the front gravle shield,then inside the rear of each fender there is a square steel brace that tou should put in,I think that should do it
Stay warm
Russ&Irene

Jimc

Quote from: "48ford"This is the way I do it,
First take the radiator support and bolt it to the cross member,dont tighten
Then get a million 1/4" bolts,bolt the inner fenders to the outer ones,get some help,bolt them in to body in back,then to front,with both fenders on slap on wind deflectors on each side of radiator,then put in grill,(get more bolts)then put in hood latch and air deflector,put air deflector on bottom then put in shims under radiator support to get it all aligned(ford used a spring in there)start tighting it all up,then put on the front gravle shield,then inside the rear of each fender there is a square steel brace that tou should put in,I think that should do it
Stay warm
Russ&Irene
Thanks! I looked at an assembled 1946 this am. and your directions look right on.
I do appreciate the help.

Jim

Jimc

I want to thank all for the help in figuring out how the 47 front sheet metal goes together.
I did have to notch the inner fenders to clear the top hats for the MII control arms. but it went together fine.
Thanks, again.

Jim

47wood

Jim,

Just took the front clip off my 47 Ford 2 days ago.  While it's fresh on my mind I'd suggest:

1. Putting on the radiator support mount, radiator mount, & radiator.
2. Attach the inner fenders.
3. Put the triangle pieces on the front inside of each fender.
4. Attach the front fenders.
5. Attach the hood latch plate & latch cable.
6. Attach the gravel guard.
7. Attach the grill.
8. Wire in the lights.
9. Attach the hood.
10. Install the front bumper.

Don't know if I've used all the correct terms here.  Starting with step 4 two guys make it a lot easier.  If you get stuck, I'll try to get you an answer.  Good Luck.
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

Jimc

I have had to make two trips to the hardware store.
There are lotsa nuts and bolts for this thing.
Oh! I have used some rude words on this thing, too.
How many Hail Mary's do I need to say?
Jim