Silicone Spray? Or Silicone Grease? for Brakes

Started by Arnold, October 05, 2012, 09:43:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

I have used the spray for..ever..snce the late 70's/early 80's.Never a problem. Even on the more exposed older calipers.(Thin/non-greasy doesn't attract dirt/grime). And I live in the salt,rust capital of the universe

I have recently worked on  a few vehicles that had the grease..and wasn't very impressed. I bought some as I thought it was required..(manuals say so) man is that stuff expensive!

Yesterday I pulled someting apart that called for grease. Clearly this thing did not have the older "o"ring style but more of a fuller bushing type.I can see this thing calling for grease.
(This thing had brake issues..that sure felt like calipers..pins/bushings..sticking)No evidence of any grease used there..(there is always some residue left from the grease)Appears that this was just sprayed with silicone at some point. Everything looked,felt brand new..SOoo I just sprayed it again and stuck it back together.(it had been together for years and years and about 80k and the brake issue only deveoped about 5 k ago. Just got really bad in the last few weeks.
..(The brake issue was that the rotor was developing hot spots as it was driven..heating..cooling)((probably some issue with the full metallic pads too)) They weren't very worn..but new rotors,pads fixed that.

Anyway..I have another vehicle to do..and it calls for grease too..
I am thinking of spraying it too.

Just curious what you guys use

Thanks..

enjenjo

I use Dow 107 high temperature silicone grease. Never had any issues with it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.