Here's the gears

Started by phat46, August 27, 2012, 04:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

A follow up to my earlier post of my brother running over some gears that came out of a semi he was following destroying four tires on his van and trailer.  I don't know if these are tranny gears, that's what they look like to me, Frank thought it might be gears from a power splitter, I have no idea what those would look like. Hopefully the pics will help indentify them.

enjenjo

You were right, those are trans gears out of a 13 speed. The one with the yoke on it is the output shaft, and the other one is one of the auxiliary countershafts. The shift ring on the output shaft is the high low split syncronizer. I can't imagine what caused a transmission to come apart like that.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

wow... holy sheet.  That would damage a tire or 3
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat46

Those are just the big parts the guys in the service truck picked up, my brother said there was smaller stuff (like case fragments?) scattered all over the freeway, another car lost a couple tires too.

wayne petty

big rigs use manual transmission oil coolers.

when the hoses leak .. all the lube escapes.. things go bad in a hurry... after an under warrantee engine repair where they removed the engine and transmission  my wifes brother made it about 500 miles before the transmission scattered like that..

he was a tank mechanic in the army...  when he looked it over carefully... he found the dealer techs failed to tighten the transmission oil cooler lines..  but they denied it totally..  out of pocket was deep on that one.