8 two barrel carbs

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, September 14, 2012, 11:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

A fellow at work showed me this intake setup. Something you do not see in a complete set much any more.

He was asking me if I knew what the "SP"  on the carb tops meant.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Arnold

I've seen "SP" too before. Can't remember where. Didn't know what it meant then..and  never pursued it. Curious now too. Thanks!

Digger

I believe those are Stromberg 97s. with custom SP tops.
Probably old flathead stuff. 8)
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

Digger

OOPS my bad--looked at the pix and those are 2 barrels, so i'm not sure what the carbs are.I believe SP made tops for several different kinds.
Just when you think you are winning the Rat Race, along come faster rats!

Digger

39deluxe

SP tops on 97s were the cool custom carb back when. They still are. Not sure of the history of the SP company  or it's full name.

Tom

oj

That looks like a setup for a blower?  I was thinking they were log-mounted with runners and that looks like a plate that bolts down.
That is a very rare piece, be nice to learn the history of that setup, if it is blower mounted it would suggest that only the top running people would even try to mess with all of that.

Uncle Bob

Al Sharp and George Pilkington went into business together after WWII and formed SP Products, using the initials of their last names.  Later, Al Sharp formed his own company Sharp Speed & Power Equipment.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Crosley.In.AZ

I will relay the info on the carb tops to the guy.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

oj

I bet it is blower mount.  Is there any names on the casting?
I recall reading that Weiand made Don Garlits an 8 carb intake for the Swamp Rat (i'm not saying that this is the one, this one is the 'child' of that intake) and that gave Don the additional air he needed and he set a new speed record with that setup.
Back then, race on Sunday and sell on Monday and they tooled up and sold some of those things.  
I will tell you this, it takes a very special kind of guy to tune one of them and while some were sold i doubt very many got used.