Water pump question

Started by jaybee, July 07, 2012, 08:10:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

I have a 3.8L Ford and I have the pleasure of changing a water pump this weekend. It has a lower water pump hose outlet and heater/bypass hose fitting with O-ring seals, held on with small screws.

How do I get them out, so they can be fitted to the new pump? I'm not so concerned about the lower one until I get it completely off the engine, but the heater/bypass fitting has a "Y" and is rather big so it'll be a real bear to thread it around everything else on the front of the engine...if I can. I got it to rise a little by driving a chisel between the top face of the pump and the tab that holds the thing down, but that isn't sufficient to get it loose. Channellocks on the tab aren't sufficient to twist it loose, either.

Currently it's soaking in some penetrant while I consider my options, ask for your input, and take a break from the 100* heat and humidity.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

wayne petty

there is a bolt holding the tab down....  twisting and cussing usually get them loose...  OR NOT

replacement hose assemblies are usually available from ford..

the ford  basic part number is an   18B402

warning...    some time around 1996 there was a change in the distance the tube seat was in the pump..

if you post a year and model... i might be able to help with proper part numbers..

please drag the water pump out of the cleaner and grab the casting number off it..

motorcraft.com takes you to the ford parts site..

where you can navigate to find various parts and diagrams..

jaybee

Waynecyclopedia to the rescue...thanks!!

The car is a 1995 Windstar.

Does the number FP4DE 8505 from the pump casting offer any insight?

wayne petty

i have not had much luck in finding an exact part number from the ford parts site...

i did find this image that might help from a heater hose engineering manual i have...

you will want to print the image and compare it to what you have... there also might be a part number stamped into the part someplace... perhaps on the mounting tab...

drop me a private message with a direct email i have a larger copy...

jaybee

Yup, that's the thing right there. I now have the Ford parts site bookmarked. Thanks for all your assistance.

jaybee

Found it. P/N F58Z18B402E. $112 from Ford.