Need help to hook up generator correctly.

Started by artwear, June 30, 2004, 10:58:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artwear

Have not been able to post for a while, just been visiting to read up on what's happening from time to time.  
    Can someone tell me which wire goes on the field terminal and which goes on the armature terminal?  The white wire is thicker, the red is thinner and the yellow is the ground.  This is on a 55 Buick.  I tried to look at the voltage regulator and figure it out, but could not make out any markings.
    Thanks for any help.

Artwear

Some people see a problem in every solution, others find a solution to every problem. :arrow:
Some people find a problem in every solution, others find a solution to every problem.

slocrow

Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

artwear

Quote from: "slocrow"Is the answer in this thread?.......

http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=555&highlight=

slocrow,
     Thanks for the thread.  After reading it, I realize that I know even less than I first thought!  I had the generator rebuilt and thought I would remember how to hook it back up.
     I think the white wire ( the thicker one) goes to the armature terminal , the red one to the field terminal and the yellow one grounded to the frame of the generator.  Unfortunately, since too much time had passed before I got around to it,  I'm not sure if that's right.
     I wasn't familiar with polarizing a generator - will mine need to be polarized after installing it back into the car?

Thanks,
Artwear

Some people see a problem in every solution, others find a solution to every problem.
Some people find a problem in every solution, others find a solution to every problem.

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "artwear"Can someone tell me which wire goes on the field terminal and which goes on the armature terminal?  The white wire is thicker, the red is thinner and the yellow is the ground.  This is on a 55 Buick.  I tried to look at the voltage regulator and figure it out, but could not make out any markings.

(1) The wire connecting to the armature terminal of the generator is usually the thickest wire, since this wire is carrying the charging current to the battery.

(2) In some applications, the terminal studs on the generator are of different diameters, with the armature terminal being the largest diameter.  .....The corresponding ring terminals on the wires should match the stud size.  

(3) You WILL need to polarize your generator after correctly hooking it up!  ....Follow the procedure given in the linked thread.    

(4) Almost all regulators have markings on their terminals or covers to indicate which terminal is which. .....Many times the markings are embossed into the terminal, but are hidden by dirt or the wire hold-down clamps.    

(5) It is usually recommended to replace the voltage regulator when the generator is rebuilt.  .....Unless you KNOW that the regulator is good, it is cheap insurance to prevent "cooking" a newly-rebuilt generator.

:b-d:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

artwear

Quote from: "rooster"heres one way!

Rooster,
   Thanks for the diagram!  I have not been able to make out any markings on the voltage regulator - not sure if there worn off or just my eyesight - but with your diagram I'll see if I can trace it out.

I appreciate the help.
Artwear

Some people see a problem in every solution, others find a solution to every problem.

artwear

Bruce,
   Thanks for the detailed information - complete and simple enough that I can follow!  What can I say - I should have spent more time with my uncle learning to do this when I was younger - but I sure appreciate your guys help now!  
    My limited mechanical skill doesn't keep me from enjoying my old rides - I just have to work a little harder to learn now.

Thanks again to all of the guys and ladies of the Rodding Round Table!

Artwear

rooster

Quote from: "artwear"

Rooster,
   Thanks for the diagram!  I have not been able to make out any markings on the voltage regulator - not sure if there worn off or just my eyesight - but with your diagram I'll see if I can trace it out.

I appreciate the help.
Artwear

How did this all work out? Did the diagram of the gen show the right positions phyisicaly of A,F,B, on your gen, im helping someone with a 56 Ford?

artwear

Quote from: "rooster"

Rooster,

I appreciate the help.
Artwear

How did this all work out? Did the diagram of the gen show the right positions phyisicaly of A,F,B, on your gen, im helping someone with a 56 Ford?

artwear

Quote from: "rooster"

Rooster,

I appreciate the help.
Artwear

Rooster,
  Sorry about my previous post, I sent it by mistake under the "add  attachment "  and did not even realize what I had done until I noticed that my reply did not show up in my post.  Another one of those over 40 moments - what can I say?

Anyway, your diagram was right on the money!  My setup was just like your sketch.    I also took Bruce's advice and installed a new voltage regulator and I made sure to remember and polarize the generator.
Thanks again for the diagram and info!

Artwear