clutch spring compressor

Started by loco481, July 22, 2004, 10:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loco481

Does anyone know where I can get a clutch spring compressor for real cheap or to rent would be great.  I'm about to rebuild a 700r4 and don't feel like paying $100 for a one time tool.  I would love to hear any other tools or tricks that would work.

thanks guys
mike

58 Yeoman

Autozone stores 'rent' tools, but I don't know if they would have one of those. FYI, you pay the 'rent', then get your money back on return of the tool. Good luck.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

loco481

I've checked all the local stores...autozone,napa,advance auto,etc.  Nobody has one.  I was hoping somebody might know another way to compress the clutch springs without causing any damage?  I would be willing to make whatever i need to as long as it doees'nt end up costing me more that the actual tool itself.

entodad

I made my own spring compressor in a few hours using some 1x1/4" strap, some 2" angle iron, A 5" by 12" by 1/4" plate for the bottom, a piece of 1" tubing 2 feet long and several bolts.   the bottom has an oblong cutout to allow the shaft to protrude through.  the angle iron is welded at a right angle to the bottom and has 5/16" holes drilled every 1/2" up the back so that the tubing will fit inbetween and pivots on a bolt through the holes.  about 4-5 inches up the tubing I drilled a 3/8" hole through the tubing parallel to the work bench and welded a 6" long 3/8" rod centered through it.  for the application of the force I took two 6" long pieces of strap, drilled a series of 3/8" holes every inch along them.  these slide over the rod on the tubing.   set this up on the work bench with a hole through the bench and you can compress most of the parts that you need to.  

Doug
WaChiss......(famous last hillbilly word)