700 r4 not shifting out of first gear

Started by Learpilot, June 29, 2012, 04:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Learpilot

My friends '37 Ford with a 350/700r4 trans. Today his trans did not want to come out of first gear. It shifted great for months. The carb is a 670 Holley with the Holley 700r4 adaptor plate. The only thing is we have record high temps of 104 today. The Tv cable is adjusted with the wot at with no slack.
I though maybe it needs a oil and filter change or adjust the tv cable, but which way tighter of loose ? We don't know how long it has been since it has been changed.
The oil is red and looks normal to me.
Thanks for your answer !
Rick

Crosley.In.AZ

Minimum setting on the cable is as important as the WOT setting.  Is there any slack in the TV cable with throttle closed?  Internal TV linkage will keep a check ball dislodged at minimum throttle.  Check ball is "fail safe"  design to protect the trans if the TV cable breaks or goes loose

IF the ''fail safe'' check ball is in place, the trans will go into fail safe mode and shift like the throttle is WOT.  

2nd thing is plastic gear on governor.  Under round steel press on cover is the governor. Cover is at rear of main case.  Drive gear isplastic. they can wear out or break.  IF the governor does not turn the trans thinks it is sitting still = no shifts
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Learpilot

Quote from: "Crosley"Minimum setting on the cable is as important as the WOT setting.  Is there any slack in the TV cable with throttle closed?  Internal TV linkage will keep a check ball dislodged at minimum throttle.  Check ball is "fail safe"  design to protect the trans if the TV cable breaks or goes loose

IF the ''fail safe'' check ball is in place, the trans will go into fail safe mode and shift like the throttle is WOT.  

2nd thing is plastic gear on governor.  Under round steel press on cover is the governor. Cover is at rear of main case.  Drive gear isplastic. they can wear out or break.  IF the governor does not turn the trans thinks it is sitting still = no shifts
THANKS for the info, we check it out !
Rick

chopped

I used Sumners site to set up my 36, never had a problem. Let him school ya. http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/700R4p1.html If the link won't work just do a search here.

Learpilot

Quote from: "chopped"I used Sumners site to set up my 36, never had a problem. Let him school ya. http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/techinfo/700R4p1.html If the link won't work just do a search here.
Good to hear from you !! I have read Mr Sumner's post and it is very informative.
We don't know the history of his '37. We are still fixing things, like you have to do with new (to you) Street Rods.
Another guy that lives near me has a 67 Chevelle with a 700 r4 had the same thing happen with all the heat. He chanced the oil, filter and added an aluminum pan with 2 more qts and that fixed his problem.
Also get as bigger trans oil cooler. We hope that fixes the problem.
I will be glad when all this heat gets out of the area. 90 will not seem so hot after 106.
Rick

Learpilot

We just found out today that 3rd and 4th are gone. $1200.00 will fix the problem.
We don't know the history of his '37 and the damage could have been done along time ago and just showed up. The tv cable is AOK.
Rick

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Learpilot"We just found out today that 3rd and 4th are gone. $1200.00 will fix the problem.
We don't know the history of his '37 and the damage could have been done along time ago and just showed up. The tv cable is AOK.
Rick

that is more than a governor problem.  sorry to hear
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)