mini starters

Started by 47 ragtop, September 10, 2004, 10:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

47 ragtop

I have a hot start problem due to lack of clearance with exhaust pipe. The engine is a 350 sbc and I am using 70-72 chevy pu ramhorn manifold that has rear outlet rather than straight down. What do you recommend as to model,brand,price,pitfalls and where to buy. I am using the 168 tooth big flywheel and the engine is .060 over but basically stock. The radiator is a PRC and the temp is less than 190 on 90 degree days and the battery i785 cca  with 2gage cables less than 2 feet long. Thanks!

Crosley.In.AZ

Some guys say to stay away from Hitachi starters.......
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

HOTRODSRJ

Assuming you don't have too much initial timing in and bucking the starter on hotstarts and all wires are good to go........I recommend a TuffStuff mini.  Works every time.....less current, more torque, lighter, smaller, will NEVER heat soak and sounds coooool. :wink:
STEVE "JACKSTANDS" JACK

phat rat

Quote from: "47 ragtop"I have a hot start problem due to lack of clearance with exhaust pipe. The engine is a 350 sbc and I am using 70-72 chevy pu ramhorn manifold that has rear outlet rather than straight down. What do you recommend as to model,brand,price,pitfalls and where to buy. I am using the 168 tooth big flywheel and the engine is .060 over but basically stock. The radiator is a PRC and the temp is less than 190 on 90 degree days and the battery i785 cca  with 2gage cables less than 2 feet long. Thanks!

Forget the aftermarket as they don't have any support for the nose. Buddies who've run them on their drag cars make sure they always have a spare or 2 on hand because of the unreliability of the aftermarket starters. The Delco-Remy factory mini is what you want, I've had one on my BBC for 6 yrs and no problem. Their the ones that come on the 502 crate motors, they are also factory equipment on the 8.1 (496") truck motors
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

HOTRODSRJ

"Forget the aftermarket as they don't have any support for the nose"

Huh?  Rat.......what do you mean by this?? They all mount alike as you know.  I am not sure what you are talking about.

The factory standard or heavy duty starters are junk by today's standards.  Too heavy, large, current hogs and heat susceptible field windings make them modern day boat anchors.

All these minis that I have ever used have lasted forever....in fact never had a failure.  

Also, AC DElco makes a good one as you have stated but they were invented by other aftermarket manufactures.  I would not be afraid to use TuffStuff, Powermaster, Tilton or CSI as well.  Don't use the cheapos tho!
STEVE "JACKSTANDS" JACK

phat rat

Quote from: "HOTRODSRJ""Forget the aftermarket as they don't have any support for the nose"

Huh?  Rat.......what do you mean by this?? They all mount alike as you know.  I am not sure what you are talking about.

The factory standard or heavy duty starters are junk by today's standards.  Too heavy, large, current hogs and heat susceptible field windings make them modern day boat anchors.

All these minis that I have ever used have lasted forever....in fact never had a failure.  

Also, AC DElco makes a good one as you have stated but they were invented by other aftermarket manufactures.  I would not be afraid to use TuffStuff, Powermaster, Tilton or CSI as well.  Don't use the cheapos tho!

SRJ, I'm not an advocate of the factory standard starters either, but the factory minis I was refering to as I said come on the crate 502's and are factory equipment on the truck 8.1 (496) and are a great starter for our use and last forever.
As to the support issue I'm refering to the fact that the aftermarket starters have the starter gear and shaft hanging out in the open with no support on the end. The fellas I know who drag race and one who circle tracks have had nothing but problems with the aftermarket starters because of this. In fact there's even a guy on the east coast who's making a business of supplying a nose cone for the aftermarket starters, it's a little pricey at around $165.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

348tripower

I have to agree on the lack of nose cone. I have had three of them and not a one lasted.
:( Don

Quote from: "phat rat"
Quote from: "HOTRODSRJ""Forget the aftermarket as they don't have any support for the nose"

SRJ, I'm not an advocate of the factory standard starters either, but the factory minis I was refering to as I said come on the crate 502's and are factory equipment on the truck 8.1 (496) and are a great starter for our use and last forever.
As to the support issue I'm refering to the fact that the aftermarket starters have the starter gear and shaft hanging out in the open with no support on the end. The fellas I know who drag race and one who circle tracks have had nothing but problems with the aftermarket starters because of this. In fact there's even a guy on the east coast who's making a business of supplying a nose cone for the aftermarket starters, it's a little pricey at around $165.
Don Colliau

Mikej

I bought one from the local Car Quest store, no problems in 3 years.

nitrofc

Quote from: "47 ragtop"I have a hot start problem due to lack of clearance with exhaust pipe. The engine is a 350 sbc and I am using 70-72 chevy pu ramhorn manifold that has rear outlet rather than straight down. What do you recommend as to model,brand,price,pitfalls and where to buy. I am using the 168 tooth big flywheel and the engine is .060 over but basically stock. The radiator is a PRC and the temp is less than 190 on 90 degree days and the battery i785 cca  with 2gage cables less than 2 feet long. Thanks!

Just Installed a POWERMASTER mini-starter .. works great ..

http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/chrome_starters.html

Stevie G

I'm running a factory mini starter from a full size truck on my V8 S-10 and I love it.  No problems with heat soak (Of course, I'm running a solenoid on the firewall).  It's hot in ATL and this has held up since 2000.
Do you like monsters?  Get a Swamp Thing T-Shirt